Anyone had experience of a Discovery??

Big T

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 95 300tdi 3 door, I use it for tree work and ferrying the kids around.

With the seats folded forward its perfect for slinging all your gear in, the 7 seats are good as this gives you a few options if carrying people as well.

Very comfy, drives well and will go wherever you take it (within reason). Tows we'll also, I can't do without it now.

Parts and servicing are cheap so that's a massive plus.

The rot and screen leaks are far out weight by the points above

"ONE LIFE LIVE IT" Buy Japanese and don't spend the weekend fixing your landy

And remember boys and girls if it ain't german or jap it's scrap!!!!!

HI LOG in one way your right but there still the best work 4X4 out there yes they need parts but there cheap as chips and they hold there money very well I've got 110 tipper when the snow here it the best out there jon :thumbup:

Hi,

Im thinking of getting a Discovery to use for my tree work. Im looking to sub contract as a groundie so I shouldnt need a tipper (If i do have to move waste then the disco will tow a trailer). I think the advantages of a disco are;

1) Reasonably cheap!

2) Nice to drive (compaired to a defander...)

3) Will Tow well.

4) Obviously 4WD so will come in handy for off road sites.

If I get one im going to strip the back seats out and cover the windows in sticky vinyl so it will basically be the same as a disco commercial so lots of room to store all my kit, saws etc etc....

Does anyone have any opioions on Discovery`s? Which is best, 200tdi or 300 tdi?? Auto or manual...?

Regards,

Anthony.

i had one a few years ago paid £4000 for it and in the first and last year i had it I paid another £4000 in repaires ! CRAP TRUCKS. :thumbdown:

There are good and bad examples of any vehicle ever made. All depends on the service history, treatment, condiotions its been driven in, etc

Unfortunately some vehicles, particularly British built are also subject to the 'friday afternoon syndrome'! - poor build quality!

Jap and some German vehicles are less prone to the build quality issues but can be prone to the advances of rust!

I have driven both LR's - 110's, 130's, Disco's and RR's and Toyota 70's, 80's and 100's - extensively and overlanded models from both manufacturers.

Toyota Land Cruisers are a good alternative: 100's, or 80's also known by some as Amazons - these run 4.2td or 4.5/4.7 petrol engines or 70's, 90's aka Prado's 3.0td and also some 2.4td older models and 3.2 petrols.

Great bits of kit, many also have diff locks as standard, known for their reliability but definitely more expensive for parts etc - obviously need less of them.

Whatever you buy, look for the best you can get/afford - look on the club forums etc, as the trucks owned by fans of the brand are often better loved and cared for - true of any make /model.

Waiting to be shot down in flames by the LR loving crowd.

I had a D1 van good truck in its day but engine sluggish and crude compared to td5. Did alot of towing spent my life replacing void bushes. The 53 plate disco van we have now much better on fuel and towing much more reliable vastly better on rot and nicer to drive. Cant find anything to replace it currently. Nice spring or air suspension and tows 3.5 tonne

I have a 96 Disco 3.9 V8. Costs a bomb to run, rear sunroof leaked so was sealed up, rear windows don't work, cruise control doesn't work, heads have been done after it blew a top hose and I didn't notice, paintwork is crap..........and I'd buy another tomorrow. Off road it's better than all of the jappers I've had. Heavy and grunty, 4WD is excellent and it's super comfy. Plus a lot of it is old school tech so it's reasonably simple to fix when it does go wrong or you leave it cos you don't need it. Really you need to drive one and decide for yourself but most of the LR lovers can put up with foibles just because of everything else they offer. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.