Anyone had experience of a Discovery??

Big T

I'm a big Disco fan... My first one was a 1995 300 Tdi with 190k on the clock which I bought off eBay, it never let me down until the clutch release arm snapped just as I came to sell it.

Had a TD5 ES which was really nice but not a great working truck, a bit too good, a bit too long and a bit too complex.

So now I have late 94 3.9 ES manual. It's bloody brilliant. I got lucky and found one completely rust free dirt cheap, again via eBay. I've had it 2 years now and in that time I've done CV joints, which to be fair needed doing when I bought it, a swivel bearing, oil pressure switch and a new battery after it stood for 4 months. I dropped the saggy headlining, did the leaky sunroofs and fitted a replacement headlining from a breakers.

My back windows stopped working too, swapped the little ecu out with one from a breakers.

Total cost for all the work over the last 2 years can't be more than 350 quid. It sailed straight through its MOT's and is yet to let me down.

The only problems at the moment are the central locking doesn't work, I think it might just be the drivers door actuator, and the cruise control, which I guess is just a split in the diaphragm.

I've used it as a daily driver and occasional toy, blasted up and down motorways and across fields, it's been minibus and van and it turns its hand to all of these things brilliantly.

You need to make sure you pick a good one but I can honestly say that there is no better vehicle when you throw everything into the pot, value, versatility, running costs.

I've had lots of other Land Rovers and looked at alternatives over the years, Shoguns [yuk] Hi Lux-es [love them but nasty to drive] and never found anything to trump a Disco... even a Defender....

If I could only have one vehicle it would be a 300 shape Disco every time.

But they're got real expensive lately...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for the replies and advice! I did consider the jap stuff, L200, shogun etc etc and also the ford ranger but all of these seem to suffer from overheating probs and end up on Ebay selling for parts as they are so expensive to repair! Also your looking at upwards of £2000 for a rough one. Kind of makes the disco look like a bargain! :)

Cheers for the replies and advice! I did consider the jap stuff, L200, shogun etc etc and also the ford ranger but all of these seem to suffer from overheating probs and end up on Ebay selling for parts as they are so expensive to repair! Also your looking at upwards of £2000 for a rough one. Kind of makes the disco look like a bargain! :)

I have had Japanese trucks all my working career my last 2 l200 trucks where great! First truck l200 4life not a problem second double cab warrior again not a prob recent one got brand new Jan before last again up to date not any problems! Different friends have got land rovers and yes very very really you might get a good one but to be honest they are a over hyped seriously over priced out of date giant mechano sets!!

If it ain't german or jap it's scrap!!!

"ONE LIFE LIVE IT" Buy Japanese and don't spend the weekend fixing your landy

And remember boys and girls if it ain't german or jap it's scrap!!!!!

Cant say i agee with you more.

we once slipped into the discovery trap, we soon discorvered they are not that brilliant. On another note i think scrap is a pretty good price at the minute

Cant say i agee with you more.

we once slipped into the discovery trap, we soon discorvered they are not that brilliant. On another note i think scrap is a pretty good price at the minute

Ah yes scrap is a good price at the moment but I don't really think there's that much weight on a disco most of it has rusted away!!

We have one we use for skidding timber out of the wood excellent at it, we fill the back with timber and get 2 dumpy bags worth of timber in there and another 8 dumps worth of wood on our lightweight timber trailer behind it, i,ve opened the pump up on it and pulls fantastic and good on fuel. we stick a dumpy bag full of firewood in the back to deliver, and it,s a 7 seater and Peter uses it as his family car and it cost 450 pounds 2 years a go and so far it,s been unkillable and i want to make one of these:thumbup:

8104102woi.jpg.6345119d069c4b077fd7c7b106de112e.jpg