Beware of scammers!

MATTMOSS

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least there will be a record of the bank account details the money was paid into, its a start. Time for your friend to call the police see if they can help. Also call the other bank, i'm sure they would like to know that someone is using them to scam people.

A very expensive lesson,hopefully he will learn from it. There are some very naive people out there, i sold a motorbike on ebay and the winning bidder sent the £650 through the post in cash, with a note saying " i will arrange a courier to pick up the bike in a couple of weeks". He was very lucky that im honest.

A very expensive lesson,hopefully he will learn from it. There are some very naive people out there, i sold a motorbike on ebay and the winning bidder sent the £650 through the post in cash, with a note saying " i will arrange a courier to pick up the bike in a couple of weeks". He was very lucky that im honest.

Holey moley

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

I had the same - a guy purchased a Husky 266 from me through ebay and wanted a larger saw as well, I showed him images and he sent cash through the post. Lucky I was brought up well and am honest in what I do!

I purchased a coat on ebay for the wife, paid for it and nothing arrived after two weeks, no mail, so pulled the money back from paypal - YES, YOU CAN DO THAT IF YOU DONT TRANSFER ITFROM PAYPAL TO YOUR BANK!!!!

A week later it arrived so I re-paid the seller after giving her a lesson on why she souldn't run her sales like she was!

In life there are givers and takers......................

Hi, I did alot of looking for a second hand chipper myself about a yoear ago. Being frugal I looked every where. what I found was the same photos of chippers being used for different chippers, all based in bonnie scotland. the ads were on ebay, gumtree and some other local small ads. they were predominantly pics of timberwolf machines.

Yup, since they clearly don’t own the machine, the pictures are lifted from elsewhere, if you ask them for a picture of it working they umm and ahh. Not definitive but it's a good "tell". Zero feedback, a remote location and delivery only are others. Individually they don’t mean much but if you get them all in one listing then caveat emptor

At least there will be a record of the bank account details the money was paid into, its a start. Time for your friend to call the police see if they can help. Also call the other bank, i'm sure they would like to know that someone is using them to scam people.

Trouble is the bank won't investigate and the Police can only do so much after sending information release request forms to the bank - all to find that the account was set up in a false name and address and has been mysteriously emptied.

banks & police do do much until it effects them, you have to really make a fuss and go higher to get any sense.

I had money posted me too from Ireland £200 in notes in an envelope, very risky but I too am one of life's honest guy's....... that's why I am broke.

In my years all the people I have known with money have been 95% crooks and bastards to work for and dont pay or take advantage

you live and learn!