Selling top handles to non professionals.

Mesterh

they say you must not use top handle saws on the ground but they dont say that you cant use massive saw I.E a ms880 you can use it 40ft up with a 30inch bar i say use a saw how you see fit to but dont let anyone catch you doing something wrong by the way i know one guy did got a 2k fine by health n safety for cutting one limb on the ground with his 200t

like i said in a post earlier,in my sweeping statement:lol::lol:

if you get caught,you will get a fine [not maybe] and you have just backed that up :thumbup1:

ive also heared of boys who work for tree companies,being sent home by their employer for the use of a top handle on the ground:sneaky2:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only realised recently having read some blurb on the HSE website that Farmers and Woodland owners are exempt from any chainsaw tickets !!! I wonder who has the most accidents with chainsaws??

Had to talk down one of my local farmers recently when I caught him working out of his tractor bucket at full tilt in the air trying to cut of some large branches with his big old farm Stihl saw. He's nearly 70!

I ended up doing the job for him FOC.

The farming exemption is for pre 1998 users doing agricultural work on their own land or words to that effect.But then domestic users seem to be exempt also.

can i just add a bit of a twist (although it derails a bit ). I am only a 'home' user, i wear full ppe at all times and have been using saws for over 25 years, ( not boasting just stating a fact ) and realise that they are dangerous, however i am a chippie by trade and use such tools as circular saws, nail guns, bench saws etc and all without any proper certified training course training ( there arnt any) How many of you saying in effect anyone without tickets should not be allowed to buy chainsaws, but yet use other types of machinary (large or small) without any proper training ? are we all certified in welding, tractor driving, grinding etc etc ? i understand where you are coming from, but you cannot stop people buying what they want.

can i just add a bit of a twist (although it derails a bit ). I am only a 'home' user, i wear full ppe at all times and have been using saws for over 25 years, ( not boasting just stating a fact ) and realise that they are dangerous, however i am a chippie by trade and use such tools as circular saws, nail guns, bench saws etc and all without any proper certified training course training ( there arnt any) How many of you saying in effect anyone without tickets should not be allowed to buy chainsaws, but yet use other types of machinary (large or small) without any proper training ? are we all certified in welding, tractor driving, grinding etc etc ? i understand where you are coming from, but you cannot stop people buying what they want.

No, but secretly- a nice piece of certification means they can charge more than someone who hasn't. :biggrin:

i think one day soon, we're going to need a "ticket" just to get out of bed. This whiney British culture gets right on my tits.

I'm sure retailers can advise people buying saws on the right saw; ie, looks small, but you dont wanna be using this for ground use, mr; and if some non "ticketed" gypo wants to go out and do a little 'lopping and topping' - let him have the right tools for the job.

I am I got welding grinding, tractor license, chainsaws, forklift (all types) CPCS. Oh and I got one for getting out of bed on the right side. :lol:

I have CG Advanced Welding and Fabrication and a ticket that allows me to use a 360 up to 35 tons plus other odds and sods. Doesn't mean I can weld a pipeline up or cut out levels with a machine. I wouldn't trust me to do it:001_smile: Just as I wouldn't trust some of the holders of chainsaw tickets to work for me. Tickets don't mean a thing, They're just a necessity nowadays and don't make anyone a 'professional'.

That is always down to experience, but in the current elf and safety climate we are bound by them, who would you rather have dig a hole, a 70 yr old that has worked machines all his life with no ticket or a new guy just out of the training centre, you would want one person ins and hse would want the other.......