tips from business owners!

Czlowiek Drzewo

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice idea John

Does this work on all jobs

I mean there must be times when the customer has a go about patio damage from the tracks.

Also - with three climbers all dropping at once and then clearing- surely it makes clearing a pain

i take 3 sheets of 3/4 inch ply with me to track over sensitive areas or to take sharp turns on. although it weighs a ton it has fairly low ground pressure on account of the wide tracks

in terms of climbers, we are a two man team with a part time 3rd man when needed. we tend to stack from the tree where possible if we are both climbing. mess always looks worse than it actually is

Interesting thread: I was'nt vat registered for years. However, about 4 years ago, I volunterely went vat registered, as I figured that about half my income came from others who were vat registered, hence charging vat was not a problem.

I have no regrets at all. And frankly, I don't think I have lost many jobs over it. My van, chipper and grinder are all paid for. I would never borrow money to purchase equipment. That's my advice to anyone, start small and gradually work up until your comfortable with what you have.

i run with 2 climbers, we knock out reductions in half the time and chip up together. that way theres nobody standing around and your climbing for half the time

with my mini loader we can shift timber quick and save on clearing up sawdust

no other companys round my way work this way

who has the advantage?

What sort of mini-loader have you got? I was thinking of investing.

It's a no brainer really- if you intend to become a successful (getting bigger) business then eventually you will have to go VAT registered so staying under the limit becomes how shall we say--- an exercise in suggesting the customer pays cash. Not saying thats what you will end up doing but it's very probable.

All very Greek methinks:001_smile:

It can be a lonely place

be sure to keep in touch with friends/family as you progress

They are your escape and grounding

best bit of advice on this thread :) i struggled for 6 months last year, everything getting on top of me. Got new bookkeeper who has made my life so much easier again :)

important to keep doing hobbies and stuff to relax :)

Keep life simple. Good reliable saws. Hire in large machines instead of purchase. Make sure people have paid in full at the end of the contract. Check to see which councils/large firms are not worth wasting time on and mess around with payments. Build up a good log customers base. Leave worksites clean and damage free. See if people will give references as useful a long time down the road. Don't be run around for prices. Have some free time to escape work and hobbies.

- Traditional Loggers.

Getting paid at end of every job is something i need to start doing. I always email my invoices for sake of keeping track on computer but i end up being buys to email them for sometimes couple weeks. Looking into carbon copy nvoice books this week so i don't have to spend a day invoicing everyone once a month.