Stein Arborist Helmet

RC0

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean, the pictures I left out were even worse. Re: the getting my face sliced scenario – having worn it today, it seems not only unlikely but would also require a very unusual set of circumstances if safe climbing practices are adhered to.

Treewizzard, you get both the clear and meshed so a person can use which ever they’re most comfortable with….and little less cynicism please. It was raining for of much today, yet the clarity of the visor remained more that adequate for this climber….I would have said so otherwise. If the visor does happen to get badly scratched or damaged, so what, it’s just a visor, much like a pair of safety specs, just buy another. FWIW it did get bashed a few times today as the tree was quite compact and congested….but it held up just fine. However, if it fails tomorrow or at any time within the next 3 months, of course I’ll post about it.

MisterT, I think its one or the other visor as far as I can see.

Highscale, I haven’t actually paid for it yet….I used the ole ‘must have left the wallet on the kitchen table’….old ones are always the best Carl:sneaky2:

Re: changing the earmuffs etc, I only just used it today and had no reason to think along those lines. For any further technical info at this stage, ask Jonsie….he’s the man! I'm simply passing on my first impressions upon using the helmet today, which just so happen to be good impressions, thats all. Thanks.

Re: changing the earmuffs etc, I only just used it today and had no reason to think along those lines. For any further technical info at this stage, ask Jonsie….he’s the man! I'm simply passing on my first impressions upon using the helmet today, which just so happen to be good impressions, thats all. Thanks.

Well its just not good enough Reg! I shall try one of said helmets, and I hold you personally responsible for its purchase. If I dont like it, I shall be looking for someone to blame, and shall come over to Stockport and make you eat the aforementioned headwear!

:001_tongue:

what o all the stine lid is made by KASK and the lid dow the bottom is a future safty lid. the FS lid is good on quads.

the stign lid now has a dual aproval under c e markings is comfee and light it will only take the designated ear muffs as they are screw mounted, and if you buy one make sure the screws are in flat or they catch your hair.

they are comfee but i find cliping the muffs down makes the helmet flex a little and thus a little difficult, you can for go the clear visor on the kask and put a normal visor in the standard mounts but then the usual probs with how the visor sits.

had mine since the summer and its ok, the problem i found today getting peed on with rain all day is just how wet the visor gets and were on a mesh you can see through with the clear on visability was impaired, i wear glasses so that did not help.

do cheak the lid carfully as the profiloing on the visor can be out just half a mill and will rub at the front and cause a scratch down the middle , my visor still ok.

all in not a bad step in the right direction not perfect though but hopfully other manufactures will hopfully cease the innisiative and develop it further,

as for the future saft lid had one for 4 years, used for quad work fine for that but i found a bit haevy for climbing as because of the whay it is made if you have a lot of hair canbe bit unbalanced on your head, but hay i find the vertex unbalanced.

a final note the sting i think is similar mony to the petzle, i think you get more for you mony from the petzle but i prefer the comfort of the kask/stine

cheers

Something like this perhaps?

26082008212.jpg

The problem with treequip's helmet for climbing is that the visor sticks too far out in front of your bonce, so you end up hitting it on branches, ropes etc when looking about the place. Looks good for groundwork though. Although having a black helmet is just stupid if your on the ground, this can be easily fixed though by taping on bright yellow electrical tape down the centre top.

On the Petzl Vertex and Ecrin Rocs the visor lifts up almost flush with the top of the helmet. Doesnt stick out half as much as treequips helmet or Huskys etc.

a16yfk_01_500.gif

Thats my tuppence worth, pretty pointless really if you consider the credit crunch and all that. Some people can't afford to heat their homes properly.

The problem with treequip's helmet for climbing is that the visor sticks too far out in front of your bonce, so you end up hitting it on branches, ropes etc when looking about the place. Looks good for groundwork though. Although having a black helmet is just stupid if your on the ground, this can be easily fixed though by taping on bright yellow electrical tape down the centre top.

On the Petzl Vertex and Ecrin Rocs the visor lifts up almost flush with the top of the helmet. Doesnt stick out half as much as treequips helmet or Huskys etc.

Have you actually tried the helmet?

I can’t say that I have found the mesh visor cumbersome. I do sometimes climb with it on but for the most part I take it off and use the polycarbonate visor. Removing and re fitting the mesh visor is childs play and takes seconds.

The one in the picture is black. I was a special for the APF show and subsequently a raffle prize on this forum. The standard colour is orange but it comes in red, yellow-(eye achingly yellow) Red, Blue, White, and even photo luminescent (glow in the dark).

I can supply vent covers in contrast colours and if you want “conspicuity”, don’t bother sticking PV tape to it, just ask and I will decorate it with 3M reflective tape.

The helmet also has a class leading 90kn of lateral impact protection and bigger vents than any of the adapted sport helmets. It also sizes down smaller than some others.

Andy

How good it is, is very much horses for courses. It sizes down better then some, it’s a few grams heavier than some, it’s better balanced than most but significantly it has class leading lateral impact protection, which is what it is all about.

I was just surprised that you felt able to comment on shortcomings having never tried the item.

Andy