First chainsaw, on a budget - advice please!

Tilia

Right, I'm an arb student but also a conservationist, I've commented on a few threads about new saws but have decided to start one to see what people say.

I mostly use chainsaws for smaller stuff - scrub clearance, rhody bashing, felling small trees (15"). Having said that, doing arboriculture will expose me to bigger trees.

I've got a budget, probably around £300 or so.

People have been recommending either a 346xp or MS260 second-hand - but is second-hand a bit of a risky option?

The other alternative I'm thinking of is a Husky 435 - I can find a new one for around £250. But is this going to be powerful enough to fell small trees? Has anyone any experience of using it?

I could always borrow a bigger saw to do bigger trees (more than 15"). Like I say, this one will be mostly for 'conservation' work with fairly small stuff. Most the charities I do work with have bigger saws, but it seems pointless to use a bigger one for smaller tasks, plus I'm sick of shared saws always being blunt when you go to pick them - with my own I'll know it's always sharp.

So in essence... new 435 (less power, 41cc) or second-hand 346xp/MS260 (risky option of used saw, wear & tear, etc)?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could have a word with spudulike on this forum,he may well be able to look after your needs with a good second hand saw,as it is a minefield market going second hand,or have a chat with Jonsie (FR Jones) who advertises on here,good for a new saw at a good price.

I would tread very carefully if you try & buy second hand from an unknown source,or even avoid it,but Spud is a good man,& knows his onions with restored saws.

TBH, if you're looking for a saw to take to 15" regularly, you'll find 50cc a bit tedious after a while. I'd be inclined to go the sencond hand route (as others have said, talk to spud) but look at something more like a husq 357 as it'll still do small stuff but have a bit more go for when you want it. Reckon now the 560's proving so popular there shoudl be a few 357's kicking about now :001_smile:

On your buget it has to be second hand me thinks . Husqvarna 346 XP is theee saw of the last few years . The 254 was the one to have prior to that . If you can get a decent 254 or 346 on a 15in bar for that money thats the way to go but as every one says talk to spud . What he don't know about those saws is diddely . :001_smile: