First chainsaw, on a budget - advice please!

Tilia

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So would people say no to the Husky 435? From what I read it's an "all-round" saw, which sounds vague but made me think it would maybe stand up to the job..?

I definetely wouldnt say no. At 40cc its going to demolish anything in front of you no doubt about it. The only difference being the larger professional saws take a pounding day in day out which i dont think you said you are doing.

A brand new 40cc husky struggling on a 15 inch tree ? no way. :001_smile:

It depends how you define struggle though :001_smile:

Yes it would do it, but you wouldn't want to do it very often unless you were patient.

From what I have heard though, the 435's aren't a bad saw for first thinning/formative pruning.

You may be right chris , i have not owned a 40cc husky but own a 35cc one and have cut much, much bigger stuff than 15inch without doubt a bit slower though, i dont think he should rule out a 435 if he is not a serious professional, you pays your money as they say :001_smile:

go into any chainsaw dealer and they will have box's full of budget saws not worth repairing. you get what you pay for, and there's no sense chucking good money after bad. buy well, once!!

i can sell you a good second hand saw, its so good i dont want it!!!!!!!

Keep hold of your money until your budget is £400 and buy a 346xp stay away from anything less:thumbup1:

This might be some good advice, you say you are an arb student. When you finish with that you'll be wanting bigger and better saws for your work. Your £300 is a good start towards that. If you buy a saw now you'll have to start with the money all over again, to buy something you would have bought anyway.

Maybe you could make more use of the saws you have access to already??, spend some time with the people who use them and show them how to maintain them nicely and keep the chains sharp. Then they will be nice and sharp when you need to use them.

I guess your conservation work is unpaid?? might be worth checking if there is any kind of a grant or part funding availible to help you buy equipment, PPE etc.. You have a fair chunk of money already so won't need the full amount of cash. Then you could buy the saw that you really want and it'll be good for years to come.

What would you buy if you didn't have a budget by the way?

What would you buy if you didn't have a budget by the way?

I think if I didn't have such a tight budget I'd go for a 346xp - sounds ideal for what I'm wanting.

Most of the work is unpaid but do have a part-time seasonal ranger job - the saws at that work are better maintained. It's more for voluntary work, where it feels like there seems to be no time to sharpen saws (it's turn up and go, other folk don't seem to care about saws being sharp).

I think after college I'll still be working in conservation, but with more of an arboriculture slant... so would be after something a bit bigger than 40cc.

However, I also think that people's consensus about saving money until I can afford a 346xp is maybe the best bet. It's probably correct that spending £300 on a 435 would be good at first but after a while I'd be wanting something a bit better.

There is a 346XP on fleebay at the mo . Item # 110809718253 . Its under your budget so far. Bloke says he is retiring from the woods . From the pic it shows there is a blanking plug in the decomp thread. Easy to put a decomp valve back in - - or just be tough !