What would you do ?

sqirrel21

Good work is hard to find but good workers is even harder.

It's a rookie mistake to leave anything in a drop zone, make him fix the saw, you get the parts but he fixes it, should be a reminder not to leave it again, after he has sworn at the control levers for a bit he will remember it.

I would see the climber aswell, vigilance is everyone's responsability it could have been the newbies head far enough but what if it was private garden and it was the customers head???????? Everyone knows how they like to get in the way when they bring the tea and bickies out lol

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, it's a silly mistake but calls for a talking to, I wouldn't expect him to pay as it's part of the risk and if he's new someone should have been keeping an eye on him... however if it had been me that broke someone else's kit I'd offer to pay for the damages.

I'm not a climber, but surely some of the posts are a bit harsh? What if the saw was under brash or otherwise out of sight, or the chap on the ground shouted all clear forgetting about the saw? I wouldn't blame him in the slightest, but then I don't really know what you lot can/can't see from up aloft!

I disagree, essentially whatever spec we are doing we have two jobs, cut branches off and don't break anything. If the saw was out of view and he was given the go ahead to cut by someone on the ground then it's on that person and whoever left the saw (in this instance the lad probably didn't know or hadn't thought about where the branch would land being so green.

IMO the main job as a climber however fast they are is not to break stuff, first and last.

I'd give the lad a good ticking off, and explain to him about how it would set back the job and costs....

he's a new lad, not on much money probabily, not aware of the world or the world of work, so doesn't know if he needs to offer to repay for the damages, nor could he probabilly afford. It'll be a good lesson learn't after a ticking off and letting the team rib him for a little bit.

Is he even qualified to use a saw or just starting from the bottom? if he's just labourer/ tea boy then why would the saw being under the tree be down to him? who was the last to use it?

As said, all the team should have been working together, everything should have been a bit slower possibly with a newbie about, thus why should this happen?

You can't really blame the climber, as once he see's all bodies are out of the way and the groundies have cleared it, he can chop away. I'm a climber and know how hard it can be to spot saws/equiptment hidden at the base of a tree etc.

Although i have worked with some other climbers that just bomb stuff out of the canopy with no regard for anyone under the tree! and treat equiptment badly.....

Choose staff wisely :thumbup:

The lad has made a BIG mistake, don't get me wrong.

BUT

A climber dropping a large limb without even a glance into the drop zone, especially when a new lad is working, is a bloody idiot.

Climbers who just bomb loads of stuff down into the DZ with no consideration for the ground crew and giving them time to deal with it are a PITA.

Hama is right, Mesterh is wrong.

I'd give the lad a good rogering without lube and make him carry the broken saw everywhere with him for three months.

I bet he doesn't do it again.