drosa2004

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its all relevant to you overheads as usual, but if you had two of those sized jobs in a day, at £150 each thats £300 done by 1pm. £300 should cover 2 blokes and a chipper for an easy day IMO. £300 to fell that birch is just another form of robbery (yes I know Im basing it of a picture!)

No, robbery would be doing a crap job and charging 300 quid....:thumbdown:

If you do a great job and the customer is happy and you charge 300 quid that's not robbery, that's good business.... :thumbup:

You've got to get over your shame at making a decent profit people, it's what we're all here for after all! :biggrin:

I would first try to talk the client round to having the tree nicly thinned out, and tell them what an asset it is to them and the look of there property! I would say at a cost of about £80 quid- job done and cleaned up. This may lead to further work from the client down the line! - if you do a good job! maybe called back to thin again in the future? or fell?

If they definately want it out i would say £120-£150 to fell to ground level. easy job.:thumbup:

No, robbery would be doing a crap job and charging 300 quid....:thumbdown:

If you do a great job and the customer is happy and you charge 300 quid that's not robbery, that's good business.... :thumbup:

You've got to get over your shame at making a decent profit people, it's what we're all here for after all! :biggrin:

Your very right mate, but I know Id prefer to quote 10 of those easy jobs @ £150 and get them all rather then 5 jobs @ £300 (busy fool I know) but your not just winning the job your winning the customer too and that leads to reccomendations and future work. Some of those reccomendations could lead to large complicated jobs where a higher price tag is justified ie dangerous/ roadside trees etc. Then I wouldn't be ashamed to put a high price on as they are paying for highly skilled work. But those £150 jobs are bread abd butter jobs and not to be sniffed at. waffle waffle:001_smile:

There is, I believe, a danger in going in cheap ie working flat out and only charging for those hours (or minutes as some of the Billy Whizz merchants would take).

You WILL get more of the jobs - all other things being equal - but the customer will recommend you to his friends as 'a really cheap bloke' regardless of quality.

Once you are in the 'lidl' category they will all only want you at basement prices.

If you have enough work on and you are not desperate - try quoting a bit higher (maybe on jobs you don't fancy as much), If you are presentable, knowledgable etc. why work for a penny less than you need to.

I got fed up years ago with customers gleefully telling me that the £200 job I was doing was quoted at £500+ by everybody else.

No wonder I was rushed off my feet, yes I became fast, yes - if it was a race I could get that tree down and cleared in under an hour BUT!!!!

I won't slave away and do it for what I consider a cheap sum - This is just my humble view and I can see that a low charge for a guranteed job has its place, but as an asian friend of mine says,

'If it's only price that matters, you only need to be a penny below the other guy, not half of what he charges'

Conclusion - everyone quotes what it's worth to them - some need the work/aren't so greedy as others/ lower overheads/ work very quickly - some have plenty of work/ are more financially demanding/ work slower.

Whatever combination, if youre happy doing it, making enough money and the customer is happy to pay then it's the right rate.

If you never get any work from quotes, youre charging too much, If you convert 100% youre not charging enough.

I have to admit that it's easy for me to give an opinion, I don't depend on it for a living.... The project I'm quoting now is budgeted at £1.2m and I expected the electrics to come in at about £300k... so far I've got a price on my desk of £170k, one I'm told is going to be around £400k and one at over £800k is coming tomorrow..... so £150 quid extra in your pocket for doing a dangerous job, even if it is any easy one for you, doesn't seem like such a big deal to me.....:001_smile:

If it's there to be made, take it and enjoy it! :thumbup:

Ok so you quote £150. The customer rings both of companies and sees who will drop there price for cash. Who makes money no one, who saves money the customer.

I would hope that after meeting me and discussing the job they would want me to do the job, but although they may be prepared to pay a little more for for me to do it they probably would not pay double.

JFTR, I did not say I would do it for £150 :001_smile: