New saw time, 576 or ms441

david wood

A 660 would be useful to me but not as much as a 460. Does the weight of the 660 on an 18" bar not kill your back after a few hours. I have 260 for 13" stuff too big for processor and preping. Ms390 for 18" stuff would like a saw just to cross cut 2-3ft stuff maybe onece a week for half a day.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spent the weekend with my 576 on 30" beech and 20" elm logs. Ran an 18" bar and then a 26" bar. It was one fantastic bit of kit.

It was running pretty much the entire day and wasn't a killer on the arms or back.

Not a machine for snedding pines, too heavy for that, but for hardwood delimbing it is ace.

I am in a similar position myself, I am currently running 2 teams and although I have 2 362's, a 357 and a 254 I don't have a second "big" saw. I love my 385xp, it has been brilliant in the 9 years that I have owned it. I don't like the newer generation of husky and stihl saws and would have ideally liked another 385. I have used the 441 and 372 and liked them both however not as much as the 385.

So after doing a little web research I bought a makita 7901 on impulse, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow, it is the only saw in this class to have a 1HP per KG power ratio and i have used one and been impressed, it has a nice design and feels nice in the hand, also it has no fancy auto tune or any other gismos. I will stick a 24" bar on it and run it for 6 months and report back.

I am only thinking of you lot, sticking my neck out to try a non stusky saw in the interests of research.

It only cost £411 new! so no great loss if its crap, it may turn up on the bay though, watch this space...:001_smile:

I am in a similar position myself, I am currently running 2 teams and although I have 2 362's, a 357 and a 254 I don't have a second "big" saw. I love my 385xp, it has been brilliant in the 9 years that I have owned it. I don't like the newer generation of husky and stihl saws and would have ideally liked another 385. I have used the 441 and 372 and liked them both however not as much as the 385.

So after doing a little web research I bought a makita 7901 on impulse, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow, it is the only saw in this class to have a 1HP per KG power ratio and i have used one and been impressed, it has a nice design and feels nice in the hand, also it has no fancy auto tune or any other gismos. I will stick a 24" bar on it and run it for 6 months and report back.

I am only thinking of you lot, sticking my neck out to try a non stusky saw in the interests of research.

It only cost £411 new! so no great loss if its crap, it may turn up on the bay though, watch this space...:001_smile:

I am interested to hear how u get on I only need a bigger saw for 4 hrs about once a month. I can get round the problem if it means spending £700 but the convience of having a saw that cost less than £500 would be usefull if its any good.

• 3 months later...

Instead of starting another thread I thought I would ask here.

Would a 372XP be happy with a 24" bar on hardwood (mainly ash). I ask because I have been offered some large standing ash trees for our growing firewood business. At the moment I only have a 346XP which get's used with a 20" bar for the bigger stuff :blushing: Whatever saw I get is not going to have to work many hours a week as I will probably revert back to the 346XP for all the smaller stuff and this is only part time at the moment.

What other New or second hand saws should I be looking at?

Tom D

Any opinions on the Makita yet?

Instead of starting another thread I thought I would ask here.

Would a 372XP be happy with a 24" bar on hardwood (mainly ash). I ask because I have been offered some large standing ash trees for our growing firewood business. At the moment I only have a 346XP which get's used with a 20" bar for the bigger stuff :blushing: Whatever saw I get is not going to have to work many hours a week as I will probably revert back to the 346XP for all the smaller stuff and this is only part time at the moment.

What other New or second hand saws should I be looking at?

Tom D

Any opinions on the Makita yet?

I run a 372 with a 24" bar and it copes ok . probably not quite enough grunt for all day use if you factor in time taken but for a couple of houres its fine . certainly won't hurt the saw .

I think they run a 24" really well unless your limbing ,ran a 24 for a year untill the sprocket shattered,went for a 20" as I found the 24 skipped the rails quite easily snedding. great for ringing up and blocking down in a tree.