annoyed by highly qualified ..rubbsih climbers

Czlowiek Drzewo

For me, I don't care if a climber has 2 weeks experience or 20 years, I will pay what they are worth, and assist them to be productive. A pig headed old climber is more trouble to me than an passionate inexperienced climber.

Graeme McMahon

I like that - I think this rule applies to most jobs, not just Arb.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought i'd dob on to this one from the college point of veiw.

Most of the Lads that come out of college at N.D. level are under no illusions that that they will be on low money and have to graft to earn the respect from more experienced guys and take the time and initiative to gain experience as a good climber.

Most around this area pay from £30 - £50 a day for inexperienced lads with or without tickets, makes no difference as they havn't the work in them straight from college.

Depite what JPBeaver has said before (not sure how long ago you did "one" day there but i can assure you it has changed) The lads are taught that, until they can pick up a rake when it needs picking up and load wood when it needs loading then pipe dreams of becoming a good climber can stop.

Until the ego is knocked out of some them they never will.

I would say that out of 20 on a course, maybe 2 or 3 show a natural apitude towards being a good tree surgeon (To me that is not just a climber but a good groundie, customer relations, mechanicaly minded with a sense of humour and give the stick as good as he takes it) From the start. The rest either learn slowly or go and work at Tesco. Simple as that.

Myerscough runs a placement year, the only college left that does, and sends lads all over the world for experience. New zealand, Oz, America, Germany, Austria, Canada. Even to od places like "the south of England"

The difference in them when they get back after a year of beasting is amazing. I see them go away, nieve and soft to work with the small amount of hard pushing we can give them in the short amount of time we have them. They come back wiser and ready to work. 99% that come back and complete, get work very quickly if they haven't got it sorted already.

Unless companies take them green then they won't get the experience they need when they do leave college.

Myerscough is stopping this after next year, despite us fighting to keep it, which is an absolute catastopy for the industry in my eyes. (so much so i will leave after next year) Students won't get the experience and employers all over the world are losing their trainees. Australia wanted as many as we could send them this year. 9 went out.

So unfotunately there will be even more wet college boys with no experience coming your ways guys. Sorry!

I work there part time but subbie out to other companies as well i would not expect more than £120 a day in this country. I have 12 years experience so i'm not sure what these people who cack it at the first sign of dead trees and a bit of rain are expecting but they won't last long expecting £200 a day.

Contact us us if you want to give lad a chance and i'll send you a good one. All the companies i have worked for get the cream.

We like to match the person with a job, its no use sending some one who is slow on the climbing front to, say, Austria as there big trees and he will break easily and lose confidence, they need time dragging brash and watching good people climb. Equally it is silly sending a naturally good climber somewhere where they will drag brash for 12 months and get no chance to climb.

So thats how it works a Myerscough at the minute.

Just wanted to get Mister Beaver off the case! Not bothered really but all i want to do is turn out usefull people to an industry that seems to becoming cool for ego's to do.

Lets face it, everyone of us, nomatter how good now, was crap at the start. Some just crapper than others!

Rant over.:001_smile:

Most of the Lads that come out of college at N.D. level are under no illusions that that they will be on low money and have to graft to earn the respect from more experienced guys and take the time and initiative to gain experience as a good climber.

Most around this area pay from £30 - £50 a day for inexperienced lads with or without tickets, makes no difference as they havn't the work in them straight from college.

Depite what JPBeaver has said before (not sure how long ago you did "one" day there but i can assure you it has changed) The lads are taught that, until they can pick up a rake when it needs picking up and load wood when it needs loading then pipe dreams of becoming a good climber can stop.

I would say that out of 20 on a course, maybe 2 or 3 show a natural apitude towards being a good tree surgeon (To me that is not just a climber but a good groundie, customer relations, mechanicaly minded with a sense of humour and give the stick as good as he takes it) From the start. The rest either learn slowly or go and work at Tesco. Simple as that.

Myerscough runs a placement year, the only college left that does, and sends lads all over the world for experience. New zealand, Oz, America, Germany, Austria, Canada. Even to od places like "the south of England"

The difference in them when they get back after a year of beasting is amazing. I see them go away, nieve and soft to work with the small amount of hard pushing we can give them in the short amount of time we have them. They come back wiser and ready to work. 99% that come back and complete, get work very quickly if they haven't got it sorted already.

Unless companies take them green then they won't get the experience they need when they do leave college.

Myerscough is stopping this after next year, despite us fighting to keep it, which is an absolute catastopy for the industry in my eyes. (so much so i will leave after next year) Students won't get the experience and employers all over the world are losing their trainees. Australia wanted as many as we could send them this year. 9 went out.

So unfotunately there will be even more wet college boys with no experience coming your ways guys. Sorry!

I work there part time but subbie out to other companies as well i would not expect more than £120 a day in this country. I have 12 years experience so i'm not sure what these people who cack it at the first sign of dead trees and a bit of rain are expecting but they won't last long expecting £200 a day.

Contact us us if you want to give lad a chance and i'll send you a good one. All the companies i have worked for get the cream.

We like to match the person with a job, its no use sending some one who is slow on the climbing front to, say, Austria as there big trees and he will break easily and lose confidence, they need time dragging brash and watching good people climb. Equally it is silly sending a naturally good climber somewhere where they will drag brash for 12 months and get no chance to climb.

Just wanted to get Mister Beaver off the case! Not bothered really but all i want to do is turn out usefull people to an industry that seems to becoming cool for ego's to do.

Lets face it, everyone of us, nomatter how good now, was crap at the start. Some just crapper than others!

good post,by far my favourite post on this thread so far!

i am of them. was never expecting or told id get paid megabucks by anyone at myerscough and appreciated its gonna be hard work. im currently doing the placement in new zealand working as a climber, gettin paid peanuts, gettin battered everyday and loving it. if i get paid enough to live and eat through tree work then im happy. shame theyre scrapping the placement as you learn loads and is a proper reality check. up the campaigning to keep the scheme.

constructive rant indeed.

This is the kind of instruction and pragmatic advice that alot of newbies in the industry require. It will set them in good stead in there quest for a vacancy on completion. I'm of the opinion that a humble and well rounded trainee is an asset to any company, especially one with experience beyond the parameters and restrictions placed upon us here in the UK.

Great post - thanks