Rope Wrench feedback

Perhaps I should mention a few months back a mate of mine had a fall of about 6 foot when a small branch hit the RW and sent him into free fall. He was lucky as there was a metal spiked fence below him. Made him think. Not 100% sure how it could have happened?

I don't use a wrench but have followed this thread and think I 'get it', would like one myself!

Could it be said branch pushed the rw down against the hitch, if you catch my drift?

Deer man, Was he on a vt or something similar ?. Maybe that justifies a few discerning issues I have with it. I assume it was underload when it went. Which seems strange. I trust it then, it's just when it's all slack around your waist. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

Deer man, I have noticed that as you ascend up using the RW sometimes your hitch can 'un-dress' itself and then when u go to sit back on the hitch it can slip and its not set properly, also while in an ascent if u hit a small branch and sit back onto the hitch the branch can sometimes push the RW into the hitch forcing it to push the hitch down resulting in a decent... just my opinion on what could've happened :)

Deer man, I have noticed that as you ascend up using the RW sometimes your hitch can 'un-dress' itself and then when u go to sit back on the hitch it can slip and its not set properly, also while in an ascent if u hit a small branch and sit back onto the hitch the branch can sometimes push the RW into the hitch forcing it to push the hitch down resulting in a decent... just my opinion on what could've happened :)

Craig, seems like a good answer. He was on a VT which afterwards he came down and adjusted by adding another coil.

I uses it last week on a couple of small willow re pollards. DOnt get it!

Coming back up, the rope was round a large limb so I couldnt slide the RW up past it due to my weight holding the rope tight against the limb. Ddrt, I could have pulled myself round the limb then taken in slack.

Got the the job done quickly, but woudl have been a quick job anyway.

Paul freebury called in and lent me his spare release pin which makes things easier, but still not getting the point.

If its more efficient, i.e you use less energy in the day, then we will all get less fit, which means less food/beer each day. I cant have that!!

I used it to ascend up a large oak yesterday, it was pretty hard with just a pantin and my hands... I was puffing when I got to the top I tells ya, but probably due to the fact that Im working different muscles?

I found that LOTS connected to the bridge on my harness worked well though, instead of going to the RW. The reason I switched to Ddrt, was that my rope wasn't long enough for the tree.

I will continue on.

Coming back up, the rope was round a large limb so I couldnt slide the RW up past it due to my weight holding the rope tight against the limb. Ddrt, I could have pulled myself round the limb then taken in slack.

Paul freebury called in and lent me his spare release pin which makes things easier, but still not getting the point.

If its more efficient, i.e you use less energy in the day, then we will all get less fit, which means less food/beer each day. I cant have that!!

Defeatist attitude that is!!

Ok so i thought id share something i do when descending after being asked about it.

So before a descent i lift myself up on the line and place my hand on the hitch whilst it is in the free position i then lower myself down with the hitch in motion rather than under load makes descending easy peasy. Just came about after someone saying it was sometimes hard to get the hitch moving from the off.

Rupe: Stick with it, you will love it i hope.....On the energy side its more efficient but you can still burn as much energy if you just footlock the line and use you hands. I think i work my arms a bit more than i did as im holding all my weight rather than a reduced amount like in drt.

:biggrin: