Rope Wrench feedback

Ian that is a very, very average job for me. By that I mean that is what I pretty much do a lot of, enjoy, and actively seek those kind of takedowns.

Tell me the advantages over DDRT on that 55' (?) tree?

I WANT to have an excuse to own a RW!

I am aware though, that Kevin, Cary, Reg, Drew et al are still regularly scaling 100'+, not knacking coonie hedges with the occasional big(ish) tree thrown in to remind me I am still alive.

Mark, if it's of any consolation I'm in the same boat. I just bought both a rope wrench and a spider jack. I've had one small fly on the SJ and just one poxy ascent on the RW. My offsider showed just how good the RW can be if you can change over to it. He did a big ass Pine on Friday, all on RW, and didn't even break sweat. Ascended with pantin and foot loop connected to hand ascender and shot up the tree. The RW allowed him to work around the canopy without increasing the friction associated with the rope running over multiple rough barked limbs. It also saved him ascending and descending to keep his rope free of those limbs but rather, he could just run around the canopy almost at will. Now, he is by far a better climber than me and several years my junior. He has also a fair bit of experience with SRT, all of which helps. I'm still struggling with the whole idea of the RW although I understand and agree with the bulk of the concept. At the moment I'm struggling with the ascending and everytime I think about it the SJ is the first thing I want to pull out of my bag. When I'm up a tree with a tangled canopy I wish I had the RW. Confused? I spend most of my time like that. I think if you've done a bit of SRT and you can work it well AND you do a fair few decent size trees the RW is well worth it. Whether I can and want to adapt to it I'm still not sure.

Bravo!

I'm getting the message here Kevin that SRT is the future, why are the ITCC dragging their heels?

We all know it LOOKS weird first time, i.e. half as safe, but then some of us can do the math(s)!

I am slightly bitter that after hauling my chunky little body up at 2:1 for years you guys have now invented a 1:1.

Mind you, less effort would have made me even more chunky....

Really hoping to see some RW demos at shows this year, especially the one with the pin that allows you to detach mid-line and revert to DDRT if desired.

Kevin if you want to fly over at any time I'm sure we'd sort out free B&B between us this end.

Awesome go rich!!

One thing I find strange about srt tree work is that I always thought it would Be harder on the body as no 2:1 system but I find it's actually a lot less tiring. I also think it allows you to be safer as you can constantly rope through branch unions to Prevent falls n swings as opposed to dbrt where you avoid the unions due to friction.

That's a really nicely edited video Ian, thanks.

For me, and possibly others, a video showing lots of good length branch walks would really help to understand things a bit better. I have not yet found a video showing a climbers hands on the rope returning from branch tips.

Also, if the climber was filmed by another person while coming in from branch tips so that we could see body position and technique, that could be the most informative video yet.

The ascending part of SRT is obvious.