Rope Wrench feedback

What's this all about? Description or photo please? :thumbup1:

Unless its a deeply personal tribal typa thang you and Mason have going on then we don't want to know. :lol:

Haha, nah bro, keep that for private viewing, $20 a video if you're interested. Seriously though, Drew had a pic up on facebook of one of his mates using a bike inner tube for a chest sling to connect to the wrench to help pull it up. I'm having problems getting used to the lanyard over the shoulder thing and almost half strangled myself with it the other day along with getting it caught in my ear defenders and not being able to adjust it properly. Plus I don't like the idea of having to keep taking it off and then putting it back on everytime you want to ascend. The inner tube can stay on throughout the climb leaving the lanyard for its orginal purpose and it sits snug against your chest. Drew might be good enough to post the photo sometime, eh Drew? :001_smile:

Ian, are you still on the HC with these ropes or back on your LJ? If the HC, what hitch cord?

Also, have you used your Kermantle rope with the HC and RW?

Thanks

Yep, im using Samson 11.3m velocity low stretch line = Awesome!

Using Stein eye to eye beeline kermantle stuff the same as Ocean polly but seems to have a bit more suppleness.

The LJ combo is great and very, very fast but im just using it as the HC and seem happy with that. The Stein Skywalker pulley works pretty good as i never used the middle attachment on the HC as i have a DMM thimble on the tether which i clip into. :thumbup1:

Hopefully ive managed to post a photo of my Spiderjack/ropewrench set up. After a bit of trial and error i have found that this set up works for me. i have not had any issues with the RW interfering with the SJ and its easy to switch back to Ddrt. Very useful bit of kit thanks to Kevin :thumbup1:

[ATTACH]87582[/ATTACH]

had a go on this,first time SJ rope wrench srt,v imppressed,going to get expensive!

Big (80ft before you Kiwis get excited!) tree today that was almost fellable, but needed the head and strategic limbs removed.

Bag, running bowline, 20ft ladder, RW away, and I was at cutting point without blowing.

However, I can't see one single advantage the RW would offer on descent (on a tree I knew would not be going up again) after installing pull line, knocking limbs off as I went, so I pulled the pin and it was Ddrt all the way down.

FTR, the pantin/spikes combo worked like clockwork again!

Haha, nah bro, keep that for private viewing, $20 a video if you're interested. Seriously though, Drew had a pic up on facebook of one of his mates using a bike inner tube for a chest sling to connect to the wrench to help pull it up. I'm having problems getting used to the lanyard over the shoulder thing and almost half strangled myself with it the other day along with getting it caught in my ear defenders and not being able to adjust it properly. Plus I don't like the idea of having to keep taking it off and then putting it back on everytime you want to ascend. The inner tube can stay on throughout the climb leaving the lanyard for its orginal purpose and it sits snug against your chest. Drew might be good enough to post the photo sometime, eh Drew? :001_smile:

From my experience Taupotreeman, which is small compared to some guys on here, don't worry about the L.O.T.S. thing.

I'm using it less and less now as I just can't be bothered clipping it in then out.

The technique I've developed for myself is this:

Push down on the Pantin, right hand is on main rope above the RW and my left hand slides the hitch knot up as my body goes up.

Then sit down, lift my foot then push down on the Pantin to repeat.

At first I slid the HC pulley up the rope as this pushed the hitch up but then I found by sliding the hitch instead of the pulley there is no sit back at all.

For the long and mid air ascents I use LOTS as its fine for this. It's just a question of practice.

I wonder if your body position is still a bit DRT style? ie: leaning back a bit instead of really upright. This will definitlely make it uncomfortable.

There's every possibility of that. Looking forward to trying it out while I'm on my own and I can play with different techniques until I get the hang of what works and what doesn't. Having said that; using a pantin is pretty new to me and I'm still getting the hang of that. Never tried SRT before either so I'm playing with a heap of new ideas and techniques all in one go so I'm assuming that something is going to feel awkward for the first few attempts.

The more I think about what you said Oldmill, the more I believe I do lean back similar to Ddrt style. I'll keep an eye on that tomorrow.

There's every possibility of that. Looking forward to trying it out while I'm on my own and I can play with different techniques until I get the hang of what works and what doesn't. Having said that; using a pantin is pretty new to me and I'm still getting the hang of that. Never tried SRT before either so I'm playing with a heap of new ideas and techniques all in one go so I'm assuming that something is going to feel awkward for the first few attempts.

The more I think about what you said Oldmill, the more I believe I do lean back similar to Ddrt style. I'll keep an eye on that tomorrow.

Ah, I didn't realise that.

Then I think your only problem is a coordination issue. I remember when I got a Pantin (when I still climbed on DRT) and matching the Pantin leg movement with my existing body movements took a tree to learn it.

You're trying to learn that and you're a complete beginner climber again, as we all are when we convert to SRT.

You're an experienced climber and I bet you a beer that you'll have it cracked in three trees. :thumbup1:

The best tip I had was ascend with very small and very slow movement at first.

Same with me, I find it uncomfortable, so was thinking of the lnner tube instead. Guess you just throw a tube over y' shoulder ( TOYS, another acronym to remember,ha) . It would have to be snug so being a light weight a MTB tube would be to loose and thick ( just tried one on, had a spare in the cupboard,like y'do) . Could chop it or get a kids tube. Never thought I'd be writing about wearing an inner tube, lol :laugh1:

So spent today soley on the RW. All dismantles and all small stuff. Found I had just as much confidence in this system as in Ddrt. Being on the one line makes absolutely no difference in that sense. Far happier with having the friction in front of my face rather than somewhere way up in the tree and also it seems, with just the one rope to work off you don't seem to be get tangled and twisted as much. I have to say though I'll be talking to my local bike shop about some spare inner tubes. Kept finding I was forgetting to advance the wrench as I was going up the tree on spikes. It's pretty easy for the rope, wrench and tether to get in an awfully big tangled mess if you don't keep check on it. I'll be giving it plenty more time though.