Rope Wrench feedback

After a bit of discussion with higher powers as a rope work base anchor system there must be a back up. Its good and if you have more bods on the ground then this problem is passed but if you have a 2 man site then you could have some issues. But then again if there out cold or seriously injured im thinking being lowered onto the floor rather than being held by someone is the least of their worries.

I don't think you need to back up the descender with a hitch and pulley though, do you? Far simpler would be to just back up the desender with a knot, then if the descender fails (unlikely) the knot still holds.

I don't think you need to back up the descender with a hitch and pulley though, do you? Far simpler would be to just back up the desender with a knot, then if the descender fails (unlikely) the knot still holds.

There is a reason behind that it lines the rope up with the AB. But, in the most basic form 2 prussiks would do the trick. Also with how do you propose to lower the climber quickly if required? Touching a hitch will allow movement from the off rather than un-tieing a knot. But basically 'you should' have two points attachment for the base anchor in case of system failure i.e some one cuts the lowest strop or highest strop or the AB has a catastrophic component failure. I can go massively into it just yet but hope this gives some indications into why as set out as safe practice it needs to be investigated. :thumbup1:

There is a reason behind that it lines the rope up with the AB. But, in the most basic form 2 prussiks would do the trick. Also with how do you propose to lower the climber quickly if required? Touching a hitch will allow movement from the off rather than un-tieing a knot. But basically 'you should' have two points attachment for the base anchor in case of system failure i.e some one cuts the lowest strop or highest strop or the AB has a catastrophic component failure. I can go massively into it just yet but hope this gives some indications into why as set out as safe practice it needs to be investigated. :thumbup1:

The type of knot I mean is a mule, just to tie off the descender - that gives you your properly backed up descender. That way it can be undone one handed and the descender used to lower the climber. The descender won't have a catastrophic failure if backed up with the mule. True, you'll only have one anchor around the base, but at the same time you have also only got one rope going up the tree and one anchor at the top of the tree, etc. Perhaps the base anchor should be wire reinforced to be on the safe side, but either way there's still the single rope.

Proper safe would be to have the climbing line, and alongside that a back up line with a free running rocker attached to harness by short sling, as in a proper double line climbing system. And have both lines attached to separate base anchors. It's never ending.

The type of knot I mean is a mule, just to tie off the descender - that gives you your properly backed up descender. That way it can be undone one handed and the descender used to lower the climber. The descender won't have a catastrophic failure if backed up with the mule. True, you'll only have one anchor around the base, but at the same time you have also only got one rope going up the tree and one anchor at the top of the tree, etc. Perhaps the base anchor should be wire reinforced to be on the safe side, but either way there's still the single rope.

Proper safe would be to have the climbing line, and alongside that a back up line with a free running rocker attached to harness by short sling, as in a proper double line climbing system. And have both lines attached to separate base anchors. It's never ending.

Well i wire cord might lack the bite abitlity on a smooth stemed tree in the wet. But what the point is im getting at is one strop around the tree = no back up, no matter how many decenders/knots. It only need one point ant the whole system fails. Two strops = 50% safety margin.:thumbup1:

Well i wire cord might lack the bite abitlity on a smooth stemed tree in the wet. But what the point is im getting at is one strop around the tree = no back up, no matter how many decenders/knots. It only need one point ant the whole system fails. Two strops = 50% safety margin.:thumbup1:

but only 1 rope

And should we also protect the rope from the threat of falling or swinging branches and logs? Should we be sheathing the rope in a stiff plastic tube?

Where will it all end?

As long as we do what is classed as a reasonably safe option. Thats why i like the choked alpine/ring eye combo.