Rope Wrench feedback

No big deal in using it, just surprised that its necessary. I have been choking an access line with a butterlfy for yours. Agreed, I dont then climb on that access line all day but it still gets installed and removed in the same way, and not noticed any excess wear on it.

Your saying that the butterfly wears the rope whe nyou retrieve it from the tree? And this is more wear than the friction hitch causes while climbing around the tree all day?

Its a different story if the working end of the line runs through several redirect points on the edge of the canopy though, there will be no friction on the loop at all retrieving an access line where both legs of the line hang parallel.

Its a different story if the working end of the line runs through several redirect points on the edge of the canopy though, there will be no friction on the loop at all retrieving an access line where both legs of the line hang parallel.

Actually I can now see that if the working part of the rope was through other branches then it might end up bent round the butterfly on retrieval which would increase the friction, I still cant see it wearing the rope out more than a hitch.

Tried SRT with the rope wrench today for the first time on a poplar tale down. Can't say I was blown away, yet.. Did feel a little odd, but not that different from climbing with a hitch climber, felt weird only having one line. I guess the main difference comes from using ascenders, is the pantin combo the way forward. I used a pair of acenders which I've had for about 12 years but never used...

Is it only me or do others find the edges of the wrench and bolts, less than comfortable when gripping it to decend? Could someone biuld a nice smooth brushed alli device which is more tactile...

Tried SRT with the rope wrench today for the first time on a poplar tale down. Can't say I was blown away, yet.. Did feel a little odd, but not that different from climbing with a hitch climber, felt weird only having one line. I guess the main difference comes from using ascenders, is the pantin combo the way forward. I used a pair of acenders which I've had for about 12 years but never used...

Is it only me or do others find the edges of the wrench and bolts, less than comfortable when gripping it to decend? Could someone biuld a nice smooth brushed alli device which is more tactile...

why are you gripping the wrench to descend?! you should be holding your knot like you normally would.

More ropewrenchery today on a small but busy Oak.

Climbed Ddrt (thanks Rupe!) and tied off with a bowline, clipped in the wrench and came back down to start on the lower canopy. The shape of the tree and dropzones, and not making big nests on the ground meant repeated descents and ascents. Man, it's so easy! I'm normally sweating like a glassblowers arse if I have to haul myself back up a few times!

Another couple of points, loose trouser bottoms can interfere with Pantin function, so tuck them away!

Not so important now (hot today), but you could get away with chunkier warmer gloves in freezing weather, because having a vice-like monkey grip on the rope is no longer necessary. Big bonus for me, bad circulation in my hands.

I'm hitting the weights tonight. Feel I've neglected my upper body today.:thumbup:

I must be doing it wrong..:001_smile:

I found to decend I needed to hold on to the wrench, pulling it down to the VT.

I think the cord from the wrench might be to short..

yeah, try a longer cord. it specifically says not to do that in the instructions, i think it can be pretty dangerous!

did yours not come with a cord? :001_smile: