Tractor drivers

Gollum

As both a tractor driver and car driver, the chumps who won't overtake on clear roads drive me up the wall, on the tractor it forces me to pull over when I otherwise wouldn't have needed to, and in the car forces less safe overtakes or holds up a queue.

All that said, lorry drivers irritate me the most.

When was the last time a lorry pulled over for you to let a queue of cars by?

But who are the most abusive when they come past a tractor?

I know they're on a tacho and a tighter limit but even so, I'd be a bit more helpful if I didn't spend hours behind them driving next to each other on a dual carriageway.... one rule for one?

An artic passed me one night, he'd only just come up behind me, not been waiting, and cut me up so tight he stripped the marker lights off the side of his trailer on my front wheel. Why? Because he reckoned he had more right to be there than I did I presume and was showing his distaste. He was hauling an empty trailer. I was carting the grain for the nation's daily bread back to the store. So obviously I should give way to him.... [or her, not to discriminate!]

Most people become gits behind the wheel, we're all guilty of it at some point...!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it doesnt matter whether you drive an old fergie, or a ultra modern thing, ALL tractors are not supposed to exceed 20mph by LAW, it very clear on this subject, the only exceptions being vehicles fitted with 4 wheel suspension, brakes on all 4 wheels, and mechanicly coupled steering, ie unimogs and fastracks, if you are stopped at more than 20mph, you will be prosecuted. and as for you tractor drivers that seem to find it a game to see how many cars you can hold up, does the phrase " due care and consideration" mean anything, apart from a dangerous driving on your license with all that that brings, a little bit of consideration costs nothing, and as has been said before, "what goes around comes around", its a lot truer than you think.

I get paid by the hour and have to drive our tractor miles n miles to jobs, I'll pull over at any given oppertunity to let stuff past, I will make extra effort to pull in to let HGV's past if its not as safe for them to overtake as cars.

The ones that really really hack me off though are the artic drivers who when they do overtake even on dual carriageways they cut back in so sharp they practically take the loader off the front!

I personally don't pull over but and its nothing to do with being thanked. I generally want to get where I'm going as quick as I can and when you can only avaerage 25-30mph it makes all the difference pulling over or stopping. Car drivers can make up the time lost waiting for a safe place to overtake but I can't. Hgv's are another story though!

As both a tractor driver and car driver, the chumps who won't overtake on clear roads drive me up the wall, on the tractor it forces me to pull over when I otherwise wouldn't have needed to, and in the car forces less safe overtakes or holds up a queue.

All that said, lorry drivers irritate me the most.

When was the last time a lorry pulled over for you to let a queue of cars by?

But who are the most abusive when they come past a tractor?

I know they're on a tacho and a tighter limit but even so, I'd be a bit more helpful if I didn't spend hours behind them driving next to each other on a dual carriageway.... one rule for one?

An artic passed me one night, he'd only just come up behind me, not been waiting, and cut me up so tight he stripped the marker lights off the side of his trailer on my front wheel. Why? Because he reckoned he had more right to be there than I did I presume and was showing his distaste. He was hauling an empty trailer. I was carting the grain for the nation's daily bread back to the store. So obviously I should give way to him.... [or her, not to discriminate!]

Most people become gits behind the wheel, we're all guilty of it at some point...!

That is absolute nonesense!!

you have presumed eveything and then to say everyone is guilty at some point!

how do you know this?

I pulled in on my tractor to let 6 cars past, I got 6 toots and 1 was a police car.

if no one tooted, and they all gave me the finger, I wouldn't take that out on the next 6 cars, I do things for myself, not the reaction of others.

I personally don't pull over but and its nothing to do with being thanked. I generally want to get where I'm going as quick as I can and when you can only avaerage 25-30mph it makes all the difference pulling over or stopping. Car drivers can make up the time lost waiting for a safe place to overtake but I can't. Hgv's are another story though!

Right so what your saying is that because you drive a tractor you expect alldrivers to wait behind you because you wont pull over ! are you also expecting cars to then break the speed limmit to gain the time that you have held them up ?? personally and speaking from experience its not the other road users problem that you may not have planned the time its taking to travle on the road or that you have not factored it into your costs .

That is absolute nonesense!!

you have presumed eveything and then to say everyone is guilty at some point!

how do you know this?

I pulled in on my tractor to let 6 cars past, I got 6 toots and 1 was a police car.

if no one tooted, and they all gave me the finger, I wouldn't take that out on the next 6 cars, I do things for myself, not the reaction of others.

Which bit specifically? Are you saying you've never had a moment when you were in a hurry and drove less than courteously? Or are you saying that lorry drivers always go out of their way to let cars by when holding them up?

I try to be courteous all the time, but if you spend enough time on the roads, particularly in different types of vehicle, occasionally you slip a bit... I freely admit I do and anyone who claims they don't is either lying or deluded!

I never talked like I was an expert bikes but, driving on the road and cycling are different things.

I admit I can't be done with middle aged men dressed in Lycra riding 4-5 a breast on a busy road, doesn't mean I want to see any harm been done to them.

Sent from my aye phone using Tapatalk