Should you need a licence to be an arborist?

Gregsie

Should tree surgery me more regulated  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should tree surgery me more regulated

• Agghh not more red tape. Wash your mouth out.
    • You should need an NPTC ticket to be able to buy a chainsaw.
    • Yes, arborists should be licenced.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A crap groundie will make a good climber look crap, a good groundie will make a crap climber look good.

Jamie

Very true IMO, I think you may think differently if you're a freelance climber as you work with more groundies of varying quality, but as part of a team who work together all the time a good groundie is priceless. Even better is one who climbs himself.

There have been various threads along these lines on here, one started by me I think, but having been on here for a few months now and having heard many of the views and attitudes of fellow arborists I have now taken up the more cynical position of Skyhuck and others. Ie, more regulation is pointless, those who don't follow the regs we have now are hardly likely to follow any new ones.

In fact without wanting to drift too far off topic If there was one law I could introduce it would be "no new laws untill we can properly enforce the ones we have already" e.g. they are apparently going to ban eating and drinking while at the wheel yet there are thousands of unliscenced and un-insured drivers out there. So I can't ear my lunch while driving between jobs but its ok to be burning round in an old Nova with no MOT no liscence and no insurance cos if you get caught you'll just get another fine which you wont pay and points on your non existent liscence.

[quote name='Richard Allinson;70697Therefore to my mind the solution is to regulate the customer into having a duty of care to employ qualified contractors or become liable.

We have enough bull to cope with :mad1:

They do have a responsibility to use a contractor who adheres to HSE and any necessary laws etc. I cant think of a good way to put it really' date=' but for instance if you do a job for someone and fly tip all there brash , logs etc down a lane then the house holder in the eyes of the law will have to take some responsibilty for it if you get caught.

I think the people who bleet on about "cowboys" must be doing something wrong. I can't do all the work I get offered ! never mind wanting more.

When there is alot of competition about and I mean ALOT in an area where people are tight buggers anyway it makes life a bit more diffucult.

Either that or I'm a right S*** climber and a lazy git :001_smile:

They do have a responsibility to use a contractor who adheres to HSE and any necessary laws etc.

Exactly - How many people actually know that? How many poeple have been fined for failing to do so? Have you ever seen a momber of the public repromanded for letting a tree be butchered? How many general public awareness campaigns are there?

I know it will never happen, its just my pet gripe when people start to go on about educating the educated or regulating the regulated

I used to call myself a forester but as a top tree person told me foresters grow trees to fell for profit.I am amenity only 6000 acres of treescape and he said you are an arboriculturalist looking after trees from planting seeing them grow pruning and looking after them in old age as they decay keep them alive safe ect, ido not climb i get climbers in. But what i am trying to say is tree surgeon is an old word arborist is the new word there is much more to trees than to climb and cut, an arborist knows his trees and how they work and grow types of soil fungi ect. You get the picture a lot of learning to be an arborist a few exams to be a tree surgeon:001_smile:

IF we had to see more legislation, I'd like to see the German method, whereby its only possible to set up your own business once you have proven to

1/ have experience of the business your setting up - usually 5 years minimum

2/ have qualifications to the right level. Over here, that would mean Prof Dip level for an arborist

3/ have attended courses on how to properly run a business, passing exams in the likes of economics and accounting

4/ have proper tax (vat) codes and business bank accounts, and your shiney new busines licence.

It means that not just anyone can set up a business overnight, and that if you try, no-one would employ you.

IF we had to see more legislation, I'd like to see the German method, whereby its only possible to set up your own business once you have proven to

1/ have experience of the business your setting up - usually 5 years minimum

2/ have qualifications to the right level. Over here, that would mean Prof Dip level for an arborist

3/ have attended courses on how to properly run a business, passing exams in the likes of economics and accounting

4/ have proper tax (vat) codes and business bank accounts, and your shiney new busines licence.

It means that not just anyone can set up a business overnight, and that if you try, no-one would employ you.

Thank goodness we won the war!!!!