Porting an MS200t

Rich Rule

Then richen the mixture so its not screaming.

You dont need to do that Pete said so

There is no increase in rpms- the increase is in torque.

Stihl do make saws less emmisions strangled then ours I had a 44 from ZA that was a brute.

The fact is porting reduces the back pressure and increases piston speed. Then people adjust the carb. You chaps seem to have the necessary skills. Many don’t the saw lives a short but glorious life. A hard lesson.

Anyone got any thoughts on PUWER.

Andy

I have no idea on the implications with regards to PUWER

I ported my saws to allow me to run larger bars on my saws with better performance. Hence lighter saw used- less effort and less fatigue. It is one of the things about dismantling trees- the later in the day it gets the bigger the saw you hang from your harness

So Pete just to clarify do you reckon you need to turn the screws???

You deffinatley do. Otherwise the saw will run lean and cause terminal damage.

I should have said that the goal of porting is not to increase the RPM's but to increase the torque. I'm no saw builder or mech and was helped through my porting projects by someone with many years experiance.

I have no idea on the implications with regards to PUWER

I ported my saws to allow me to run larger bars on my saws with better performance. Hence lighter saw used- less effort and less fatigue. It is one of the things about dismantling trees- the later in the day it gets the bigger the saw you hang from your harness

Well it’s like this

When your machine arrives out of the box the manufacturer certifies that it conforms to the PUWER regulations. (or you shouldn’t buy it). If you modify it in any way, it no longer conforms to the regs.

The issue of end of day working was addressed in the last cut syndrome and while I accept that a lighter saw means lees fatigue but a light saw with up rated power and the longest bar it can run also carries and increased potential for kickback.

In the event of an accident where a modified saw is found to be involved any EL insurance is going to have all the excuse they need to drop you like a hot spud. The HSE aren’t going to be happy either.

Andy

Your totally right T'quip, but regardless of HSE/Insurance issues modding saws is a complete and utter waste of time. Lifes too short to be pissing into the wind with a modded saw.

If anyone here wants to understand what modding a saw does to your personality visit Arboristsite.com....in the chainsaw forum you can see the remnants of hundreds of human beings endlessly yapping on about the intricacies of modding a saw and performance enhancement BS meanwhile their lives are frittered away into the abyss that is modded saw oblivion of which there is no way out.

• Haha 1

Your totally right T'quip, but regardless of HSE/Insurance issues modding saws is a complete and utter waste of time. Lifes too short to be pissing into the wind with a modded saw.

If anyone here wants to understand what modding a saw does to your personality visit Arboristsite.com....in the chainsaw forum you can see the remnants of hundreds of human beings endlessly yapping on about the intricacies of modding a saw and performance enhancement BS meanwhile their lives are frittered away into the abyss that is modded saw oblivion of which there is no way out.

Did i just hear an inane twittering from the corner making his usual negative and doomfull posting to further his pious self importance?

Oh sorry Tim you posted?:001_tongue: