Chainsaw gloves - who wears them

blazer

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I always wear chainsaw gloves as I would hate to think of getting my hands minced but I have heard of alot of guys not wearing them. Their argument goes along the line of, they were designed for saws before modern protection features was built into saws.

How many have heard of saw accidents where the operator didn't have saw gloves on and was injured against guys not getting injured due to wearing saw gloves, just a thought:confused1:

Hi there, SORRY late to teh party and haven't read all the posts so might repeat (ignore if so.)

Check out HSE guidance INDG317 and AFAG 301 (see below) remembering these are minimum requirements and hence something more might be required on a site specific basis, i.e. SSRA (site specific risk assessment.)

IN the ARbAC assessments we do question none use of some form of work glove for most ground ops, chainsaws / rigging / woodchipper etc., if observed which at least help to keep hands warm.

Modern saws have front hand gaurds and chainbreaks etc. so HSE have accepted advnaces in technologies have removed the same level of need for chainsaw gloves (the old 'leather hide' ones were a nightmare, and hazard, when wet anyway!)

Hope this helps and again apologies if repeats.

Cheers..

Paul

afag301.pdf

indg317.pdf

the only pair i had was for college, 2 and a half years ago. that was because it was needed to do the ground tickets. since then i would rather spend £1 for a pair of gloves than £20.

has anyone been cut on the top of their left hand before??

Only a total idiot would do that.:001_rolleyes::blushing:

C/S gloves designed before chainbrake developed yet H&S say to wear them
[code][quote][/quote]

[/code]

Talk about backwards.

Like I say, I can only see the point in them as padding for the back of your hand when applying the chain brake- the need for chain protection is not there

Manufacturers love H&S- £20 a throw

Not the case. HSE listened to industry and adjusted their guidance on CS gloves accordingly...see earlier post.

Cheers..

Paul

Chainsaw gloves have minimal protection in them and (I heard) the reason for the padding in the back of them is for a pretty obscure reason.... Someone told me the reason the other day and I wouldn't have guessed it....

What was the reason Rob?