Why not?

Shane

For the second time in my life I was thinking today...

How to legally shift big loads of chippings without the hassles of operators license etc.

I'm ready to be slated for this (or be told its already been done - here goes).

Strt with landrover 110/130

Strip off the rear tub and fix a chipper on chassis (maybe even a turntable).

Why not pick up the chipper drive from the 'spare' output on the transfer box (used on some to drive the front winch) - if not enough power you'd need and encined chipper.

Build in a tool box if theres room.

I recon that would still be well below the GVW of 3050 kg

(My greenmech in under 750kg with all undercarriage).

Then all you need is a decent trailer with a GVW of 3 tons (and a payload of around 2 tons - assuming it weighs 1 ton).

away you go - more chips (legally) than a transit and better grip off road.

Only down side is the 'agricultural' nature of the drive.

I love my 110 too much to do this to her but depending on comments I might start searching for another one for a new project.

Shane

Great idea YOu could power a serious chipper with the 111hp of a defender, without the bodywork you could put a fairly hefty machine on there, and the whiole thing would be registered as a special vehicle (one that can only do one task, eg cherry pickers etc) so would be tax free and run on cherry. You can tow 3.5 tonnes behind a defender too. The only downside is that you would tie a defender up as nothing but a chipper......which IMO seems a bit of a waste......you could use a 90 though, as they are a waste of time anyway IMO.

Start with an Iveco Daily 5.2 tonne chassis, downplate it to 4.75 t (v simple to do,...... erm well leastwise when new) = legal to tow a 3500kg tlr.( based on the 8250kg GTW/MAM)

1.25 t better payload, albeit at the expense of 4WD.

Is there a 4.6 tonne chassis as well?

Cheers

M

I was assuming that by keeping the vehicle below 3.5 tons theres no need for tacho (if you work within 50 kms of base) and no need fro more frequent maintenance schedule - hence trying to keep within the weight category.

I was assuming that by keeping the vehicle below 3.5 tons theres no need for tacho (if you work within 50 kms of base) and no need fro more frequent maintenance schedule - hence trying to keep within the weight category.

if your notr doing megga miles you can get the inspections set for 12wk intervals

its not as much hassle as some make out,if you get a 6.5t daily you get a good payload & good towing capasity :thumbup1:

I was wondering about that - its OK for running a geared down winch but something like 35hp worth to run a reasonable chipper - dunno - hence the question and possible addition of chipper with engine rather than via PTO.

We talked about this at work. depending on how you mounted the chipper it could be very awkward to work with. If you're chipping into a trailer you would prob have to have the feed on the side, then tight driveways could be an issue as could roadside works.