• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

they'll grow back.

why buy from a battery farm???

its easy to raise chickens from eggs, just buy an incubator and find a local free range farm and buy a dozen - follow instructions and 21days later chicks!

it is great fun for the kids too.

To give the poor little buggers a few happy years after a life of misery.

I like them. They lay well and it's interesting and satisfying watching them adjust and become normal chickens instead if some boxed and badly treated creature that has had all it's natural instincts suppressed to keep us in eggs!!

I had massive doubts when we picked up 5 about 3 years ago 2 are still going strong and have mothered more hens from fertilised eggs. 1 died because it was so bad when it left the farm, it's a disgrace that in this day and age we treat animals they end up in this state.. I'm sure you will be more than satisfied with them in a month or so Tom.

of course they are stress?!!! Mother is on her 6th batch of ex bats now, and think she has a couple of originals left too. they lay well, and the eggs are great. lovely colour and taste.

I think its great too be able to give these poor birds a chance, they'd only end up in chicken pies otherwise. nice one tom

I suspect that because these are kept all together there will be much more bullying, in battery cages there are only a few hens per cage so less victimization. They will be fine in the end, but they weren't what my city girl wife was expecting lol.

TD Tree & Land Services Ltd.

of course they are stress?!!! Mother is on her 6th batch of ex bats now, and think she has a couple of originals left too. they lay well, and the eggs are great. lovely colour and taste.

I think its great too be able to give these poor birds a chance, they'd only end up in chicken pies otherwise. nice one tom

An whats wrong with that!?

Mmmmmmm

I assume from the posts that organic is really the only/best option in regards to the health of the birds?

I think its great too be able to give these poor birds a chance, they'd only end up in chicken pies otherwise

Unfortunately, ex layers are not used for such glamorous uses!

I assume from the posts that organic is really the only/best option in regards to the health of the birds?

Organic does not mean healthy conditions, still intensive.

organic livestock is supposed to have a better life (more space etc) but in reality i dont think they get medicines as quickly and sometimes suffer more, when the inorganic treatments prevent a lot of unnecessary disease conditions occuring in the first place.

You can tell what sort of life the hens that laid your eggs have by the colour & flavour of the yolks (unless the farmers are putting dyes in the feed). Its true some free range hens never get to go outdoors cos they cant get to the doors! The quality of feed has some factor on the eggs but the access to good grass and plenty of invertebrates is more determinate from my experience. Commercial hens get two seasons and then they get their knecks rung. the death isnt the issue, its the quality of life thats important imo