Something strange afoot!

redmoosefaction

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an instance last spring where another well known out of town shed sold two ladies a bag of logs for their new stove ( not one I had supplied !!). I got called in when they would not burn. The girls had paid about £7 for about 10 logs maybe 250mm long and 75-100mm dia. They thought that due to the weight they were getting hardwood, wrong, they got softwood at between 45% and 50% moisture.

Problem is these sheds buy on price and price alone. They also demand 100% availability, timed deliveries, full credit on anything deemed to be 'faulty' etc etc.

A

They caught my eye in Homebase the other day and I immediately realised how heavy they were. Are you saying their more likely than not green softwood and/or pop?

The bags (purposeful?) design makes it difficult to pry into the contents that`s for sure!

highly suss regardless,,,

Yes almost certainly.

Now softwood or poplar is perfectly OK as a fuel for your stove ( thats what most Scandinavians burn!!) so long as it has a moisture content below 16% ideally or 18% at a push.

If you are a new stove owner then invest in a mositure meter.

A

I was in B&Q on Tuesday evening and outside the store, they had nets of logs for £8 and plastic bags of kindling for £3. Inside the store the same nets were £7 and the kindling £2.99! I have had bigger bags of crisps than the bags of kindling and the log nets stated, "Produced by a local company" - I think they were based in Cheshire which is nowhere near Newcastle Upon Tyne!

Alycidon

you mention a moisture meter, where can i get hold of one?

I see a lot on the famous auction site but what it the difference between a 2 pin and a 4 pin.

Also, Is there any issue with the cheapo meters for a house owner who just wants a rough guide to moisture level. They claim +-1% so I can live with that if it is close to what is actually achieved.

(EDIT: Someone already answered second question)

Edited by SteveP