Stump grinder tooth sharpening

Billy

The manufacturers say I shouldn't but i know alot fo people do. I've heard of using a diamond disc ona 4" grinder, or a green wheel (whats this?) on a bench grinder and one of my mates reckoned that a normal metal gridning disc would work fine...so how do you guys sharpen yours and hwat works bst. I already own a 4" grinder but no bencg grinder so would be keen to use that. the only diamond disc i have found so far is on ebay and its £34 advertised specially for sharpening stump grinder teeth, does anyone know if they are available cheaper and where?

Thanks, Bill

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy a new bench grinder and leave the carborundom wheel on one side to grind the steel of the finger and put the green grit on the other side for the tungsten.

If you set the angle of the bed for the steel and then set the angle of the bed for the tip so that the carborundom grinds the steel and the green grit just grinds the tungsten then the wheel will last ages.

Ill post a picture tmr :thumbup1:

The diamond discs are good to touch up the teeth on site but you'll never make a proper job with them IMO

I have a diamond disc but its difficult to get the angles correct.

Had a day on the stumps myself today,I use a diamond coated disk on a cordless grinder to dress the teeth up,no probs,tend to grind the iron down with a normal grinding disc,then go with the diamond coated to stop it clogging up,there is a good suplier I have posted,(run a search on here),they give a very good discount if you buy 3 or 4 off them,if you cant find it pm me & I can set you in the right direction.

Mine have given me nothing but bloody good service & economy,combined with the excelent Makita L XT cordless grinder(thats an expensive tool,but very very good).

The green wheels are good,but dust to nothing if they grind the iron,and use a dust mask with them anyway,you do not want to get the dust in your lungs from these,it's not good news.

• 3 years later...
Just replace with new ones and sell the worn ones on ebay 👍

Best advice by far, a re ground tooth is never the same as a new one, for all that effort, get Greenteeth use them for the 3 turns and sell them on. Deans also got the new ones which huach out the wood really well.

• 9 months later...

We actually manufacture a diamond profile wheel that fits on a bench grinder, it is diamond electroplated with a internal profile 13mm wide with a full radius & is coarse coated for easy use just move the carbide tooth into the radius & grind it instantly & still keeping the correct shape, I supply them to saw sharpening & stump sharpener in the UK & in Europe, they are safer than green grit wheels & last about 30 times longer if dressed regularly & used correctly, if you want more information message me I'll be glad to help