What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Why did they make it so you had to remove everything just to get to the oiler? Handle, starter, clutch. Thought I was going to get to the cylinder before the oiler. Lol.

Think it is so no one will ever repair one, the 290/390 is no better, it is one saw I feel like turning away - my face drops everytime I have one in.:lol:

Will be having the FS450 on the bench tomorrow afternoon as having problems with starting. A few colleagues start it with the decompression button pressed in and thats when the problems start. If you pull it with the decompression button out it starts first pull. Will be changing the decompression button tomorrow and if the problems persist may plug the hole all together.

Will be having the FS450 on the bench tomorrow afternoon as having problems with starting. A few colleagues start it with the decompression button pressed in and thats when the problems start. If you pull it with the decompression button out it starts first pull. Will be changing the decompression button tomorrow and if the problems persist may plug the hole all together.

That sounds like it is low on compression and with the decomp being used, the compression isn't enough for combustion. How is the cutter when it is warm - difficult to start?

Perhaps time for new rings or new piston and rings!

I agree with Spud. It does seem likely that the compression is down due to wear and tear, and is just too low when decompressed as well. Although it is starting fine without the decompressor, if the comp is down you should be noticeing a lack of power in use, and a lag in getting the blade up to speed.

If the performance and hot start is OK, then maybe its just a duff decompressor which is not popping up quickly enough after the first fire.

In any case a compression check might not be a bad idea if you have a guage.

It's a big job, the bike took 2 days to strip, had to fit a road legal kit to it. It came to me in pieces as there was a fault with the ignition originally, so the owner stripped it apart when all he had to do was remove the ignition switch.

So fitted the road legal kit and rebuilt the bike, took it back and a week later he came back to me with running problems, it would run cold but after it warmed up would die and not start again until cold. Done a comp test and it was reading 50psi. Took head off and the liner had a massive lip. The piston to liner clearence was 0.56mm and it's wear limit is 0.40mm. So it was a overhaul. The bike has been sat in the yard with no engine on it since before Xmas as trying to source parts I have been banging head against wall since.

Honda don't make the liner anymore and I couldn't find one anywhere, and I mean anywhere......

So I have to go for oversized piston and rings, this was an order on eBay from USA, waited a month and it turned up, opend box and two pistons came out, only a one pot bike, they had sent me a Yamaha bike kit.

So contacted and fair play they admitted it was there mistake and sent funds to return the wrong order and clear the custom tax.

Parts are now on there way to me so bike will be back together as soon as I get the cylinder rebored.

So it will be an expensive job if I count on having the bike for 7 months......

Must also say the bike was acquired from a farm and had been sat in a barn for some years. Before it came to me.

I've got my Husky 51 on the bench and just done compression test. It maxed out at 130 psi which, from reading back in thread, is on the low side of normal. Am I correct?

Incidentally, I also checked my Chinese tat and, although it is harder to pull over and appears to have better compression, maxed out at 120.