What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Oh gardenkit, I've been out in my boat three times this season already.

What's taking you so long.

Already caught loads of cod. Looking at going out again soon. Weather has been perfect, Chanel has been a bit choppy at times.

What hp is that outboard you got?

Oh gardenkit, I've been out in my boat three times this season already.

What's taking you so long.

Already caught loads of cod. Looking at going out again soon. Weather has been perfect, Chanel has been a bit choppy at times.

What hp is that outboard you got?

I'd go out more Rich, but my wife only likes it when its hot, and I dont get much time till all the mowers are serviced and running.

Thats a 25hp bigfoot, 1999 model

Alright for some - boats, fishing.....:001_rolleyes:

Anyway, back from my break, piston for a seized MS290 arrived - took a flanker and decided to get it in without inspecting the saw and was right to do so, the bore cleaned up well , pressure check and vac check to make sure all was airtight which it was. Breather and carb all OK so reassembled and tached at a conservative 11,500rpm, all good!

We had another thread where a few of the guys including myself were not liking the MS390, the MS290 is very similar and the reason can be found in the pictures below. The whole saw needs to be stripped down to get to the piston/top end, you can see that the engine is a "clam" style engine where the base of the cylinder also forms the top of the crankcase.

I have included an image of a cylinder from a 357XP for comparison for those interested - this bolts to the crankcase bottom end by four bolts and is much easier to remove:thumbup:

On the MS290, the top handle and AV rubbers are a bit of a pig and the rear handle also needs to be removed to get to the top end - it is one fiddly mother of a job:thumbdown:

To put it in to context, I could pull the cylinder off a 346XP in 15 mins, the MS290 - around 1hr 15 mins Grrrrrrr:lol:

4.JPG.007c460fa82c0edf81bacd4215a41b82.JPG

3.JPG.9f615950a193ede9c5c817b9d388a3d8.JPG

2.JPG.69550e2aa49e481da3d5d473c17bbb32.JPG

1.JPG.b84de1c1eab3a5df20f9bdc86b051dfa.JPG

I'd go out more Rich, but my wife only likes it when its hot, and I dont get much time till all the mowers are serviced and running.

Thats a 25hp bigfoot, 1999 model

there would be the error. :lol:

Nice outboard, I got 75 evinrude on a 17ft, goes like stink but digs a nice hole if I'm not carefull.

there would be the error. :lol:

Nice outboard, I got 75 evinrude on a 17ft, goes like stink but digs a nice hole if I'm not carefull.

There are plenty of holes out there without digging any more, Rich.

They can make you stop fast when you find them.

I used to be a helmsman on Atlantic 21 lifeboat, so my present boat is a bit tame, but still good fun.

This is a little off thread though, methinks, Sorry Spud.

Spud I got three words for that one in pic.....

I WANT IT.

But I would probably sink it or be too scared to open it up.

Anyway. Back to thread I got an alko strimmer on the bench today, well yesterday and I can't get the head off it. Looks rusted up on the screw thread so put plenty of wd on it.

Any suggestions on how they are suppose to come off. Tried clamping in vice and turning either way as I know some are left hand thread but seems to make no difference.

Sorry no pic as had no way to take one, will try and get one. Tomorrow if I get chance.

Rich.

Evening all,

Ive got a 357xp with a scored piston. Its a 2002 model and the cylinder has a rubber pipe from the top/spark end where you would expect a decompression button to be that runs back into the cyclinder lower down. This is split so I assume this has caused the goosed pistion. Can anyone explain what this is and what i need to source to repair or replace the cylinder, i may be able to treat the aluminium tranfer on it but this hose thing looks like a bit of poor design and a mare to remove.

Cheers

Ash

Evening all,

Ive got a 357xp with a scored piston. Its a 2002 model and the cylinder has a rubber pipe from the top/spark end where you would expect a decompression button to be that runs back into the cyclinder lower down. This is split so I assume this has caused the goosed pistion. Can anyone explain what this is and what i need to source to repair or replace the cylinder, i may be able to treat the aluminium tranfer on it but this hose thing looks like a bit of poor design and a mare to remove.

Cheers

Ash

That's exactly what happned to the one I have. I went down the route of non gen barrel and piston and that got round the auto decompressor problem as the new cylinder was for a normal decompressor. the non gen cylinder doesnt seem to give as aggressive power delivery but it still runs an 18" bar OK.

Think Spud's done a few where he's blanked off the auto decomp where it leaves the basee of the cylinder and fitted a normal decomp.