What's on your bench today?

spudulike

I bet they never once cleaned the grass from underneath after use,:confused1: just put it back in the shed.

Some dont deserve tools, all they need is looking after:thumbup1:

To be fair it was 15 yrs old, most steel decks don't even last that long. Many Honda Izy models are holed in 8 yrs.

Finally got round to actually building my bench this morning and even got chance to christen it with a saw this afternoon :biggrin:

Have a couple of old Husky 42's one's a late 80's grey top one and the other is a late 90's 42 special we think. The old grey top seems to be in better fettle but when warm and sat on it's side the idle would increase, sat upright again it would drop back to normal. Made me chuckle when felling with it :001_smile:

Other than that it ran pretty well so figured I'd try the carb off the other one first before delving too deep - that seems to have cured it, though I've only cut a few bits in the garden so far.

The other one is one I bought off ebay ages ago as a "good runner", yes it ran but very poorly - pics are on the other computer but what had happened was at some point someone had had te carb off and refitted but managed to fold the gasket in half and it was sucking in air (and crud probably) and it needs a piston at the very least.

Only paid a little more than spares money for it so not too fussed.

Hello All,

I haven't visited the site in such a long time:blushing::blushing:

Anyway....what's on the bench at the mo....well

This Stihl 041AV is....

The fourth picture is just the parts that need to go through the saw to "make good" as it were.

It came to me as a "my husband took the carb apart to clean it....and now it won't start again"

As you (hopefully) can see from picture three, the HT lead is broken and is probably earthing...as a quick spark check revealed not a lot!!:laugh1:

I will try to post some more pictures once I am inside...if it doesn't bore everyone to death!!

Incidentally, not that I need one for this job, but a copy would be nice.....where might I get a workshop manual for one of these....Stihl reckon it's too old a saw for them now!!! Cobblers says I

Regards

Martin

59766094c49a5_Stihl041AVFour.jpg.0248c6a94bf75b448b7a3192bccc5222.jpg

59766094c2f5e_Stihl041AVThree.jpg.37da46f6dd452c262d07a162b936c857.jpg

59766094c16bc_Stihl041AVTwo.jpg.ef269634e9f7626390f75b5da0e617b2.jpg

59766094beb93_Stihl041AVOne.jpg.bd3a4e85605ec820c3494dcfb8a2617a.jpg

Edited by Lightmart

So a question for all here, but i guess especially dealers and spud,,,oh and any mower gods!

mother has a petrol mower that she is finding difficult to start, guess age catching up on her!

so looking for alternatives. retrofit battery start kit - new battery start model - electric model that isnt useless.

needs to be rotary, must collect and its not a huge lawn, no more than 8 x 8 metres.

and yep you guessed it, price is key!

cheers all

So a question for all here, but i guess especially dealers and spud,,,oh and any mower gods!

mother has a petrol mower that she is finding difficult to start, guess age catching up on her!

so looking for alternatives. retrofit battery start kit - new battery start model - electric model that isnt useless.

needs to be rotary, must collect and its not a huge lawn, no more than 8 x 8 metres.

cheers all

I get customers like your mum all the time, and its a really difficult one to answer.

The 1st option is to see if a good service could improve the starting of her current machine, delaying the change for a few years.

Secondly, electric start. To my knowledge there are no retro E/S kits, so a new machine is the only option. The cheapest one I know of is £475 for an 18" machine, so probably a bit large for her garden. Most others are in the £700 plus bracket.

Electrics are of course cheaper, many of the £100 ish machines are pretty feable but there are some very decent quality machines around at about £200.

Rechargable mowers are good, but need to be of the lithium ion type and will be around £400

I am talking of decent, mainline dealer type machines. There may be cheaper models of dubious origin on the net, but beware.

Hope this helps a little.

cheers all

We picked up a stiga mower, cheap and easy To use. Doesn't collect but when we have used it it doesn't leave any sign of cut grass behind it.

Really easy to pull start aswell.

Lightweight as one person can pick it up to carry it.