What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Depends what you want to spend? Age of saw and rest of condition etc will be another factor.

Pictures are not too clear, is crank ok?

If cylinder isn’t salvageable then i’d say you have only two options providing crank is ok.

1st is bin it and use whats left for a doner scenario.

2nd is rebuild it with a meteor pot & piston.

Personally i’d go option 2, but id also go right through it, new crank seals, crank bearings, little end.

If cranks shot then that could also be a decider on your decision. New genuine will be expensive, aftermarket will be cheaper but the life expectancy compared to OEM will probably be less.

Shouldnt be any noticeable up/down movement on your big end bearing regards your crank. If you have a noticeable amount then its obviously took a “load” through the crank as a result of the piston nipping up, in turn dont forget this load will also have been transferred across/through the crank and in to the crankcase bearings. Hence the suggestion of replacing them both.
Huztl.....? They are what they are. If its your go to everyday, heavy use, pro saw, then i’d recommend better, hence meteor. If its just a hobby saw to you, then fair enough i guess. Thats only my opinion of course. Its all tinkering with a good sense of achievement at the end of it whichever route ya go down [emoji106]

Had a box in today..... I tell my customers to put the saw in a plastic bag and a well padded box with a note including the work to be done, mobile, return address and email - not unreasonable.

So, this box has a wreck of a 346, a less of a wreck of a 346 and an extremely tired looking MS440. No note in the box and a good amount of petrol staining on the bottom of the box and it stank of fuel!!!

Would you send a load of saws rattling around in a box? Would you send kit without any form of indication of where they are from...many couriers refuse to carry saws and with this as an example, I look forward to early retirement!

Not sure what people are thinking of but this takes the biscuit!