What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Lives & breathes at last. Been a fun project & the porting has made some real gains in performance. Frankensaw used 4 old 200t/020t's & about 15 man hours [ATTACH]199542[/ATTACH][ATTACH]199543[/ATTACH]

The main thing is it cost bugger all, you have learnt a bit about these saws and it will earn you money in the future. Whats not to like:thumbup:

Well done!

Had an email from something called arbtalk and a private message....

So thought I may as well read it and just poke my head up.

A LOT has changed for me and not touched a saw or anything arb related since the beginning of last year. And I don't intend to for the rest of my life. All things arb have gone.

Life moves in very crap ways, and mine moved into one heck of a stinker.

My body is ruined, my mind has gone and with everything that happened I gave up.

So now working a crappy job with no future in it but living for my family not my work.

Anyway. Just popped my head in and unless some weird email pops up saying something about a message again I bid you all good health.

Had an email from something called arbtalk and a private message....

So thought I may as well read it and just poke my head up.

A LOT has changed for me and not touched a saw or anything arb related since the beginning of last year. And I don't intend to for the rest of my life. All things arb have gone.

Life moves in very crap ways, and mine moved into one heck of a stinker.

My body is ruined, my mind has gone and with everything that happened I gave up.

So now working a crappy job with no future in it but living for my family not my work.

Anyway. Just popped my head in and unless some weird email pops up saying something about a message again I bid you all good health.

Good to hear from you again Rich, sounds like you have been through the mill. Hope you pull out of the dive you have got yourself in to and get some happy times in the future. All the best bud....

Had a 039 in a long time ago, it had been seized so fitted a new piston etc and it ran but not too great. Found the carb was a bit worn so fitted new and it ran a lot better. Compression was never great - 150 tops but adequate.

Well......this saw came back, reset the carb and back out, failed, came back, went out....well, you have the picture. This saw was the spawn of the Devil and nothing would sort it.

I felt guilty that it wasn't right, that is just the way I am, I don't like taking money and the customer not having a working saw so had it back after I ported a 372 for the fella and said it may be a long project.

Well - I tore in to it this week, measured the squish, stripped it down again, found a slight abrasion to the piston so smoothed and re-honed the cylinder. Everything else seemed OK. I compared the roof of the exhaust port distance to the squish band and it is significantly less than other cylinders I had to hand so now understand why the compression wasn't higher.

Found the flywheel had been rubbing on the plastic behind it so eased both plastic and flywheel to give clearance. pressure and vacuum check. Stripped the carb and there it was. A tiny sliver of wood stuck in the low speed jet pickup:001_rolleyes: No wonder the damn thing never idled well and was a bitch to start! The carb was a new one so never really checked it thoroughly - my mistake.

Went at a big lump of conifer, lots of noodling and it works fine and starts with no effort at all - months of hassle over:thumbup:

I won't charge, I got paid for the first repair and that usually does it on 99.9% of machines and will take this one on the nose. Just glad I got it sorted at long last.

Nice result Spud, obviously a string of different problems causing the same result so looking like the same problem reoccurring, which in fact it was not. So really not your fault and you would be justified in charging.

But I tend to be a bit like you, if I have recently taken good money from a customer and the new problem is not distinctly separate I take it on the nose too.

Good job we don't get too many comebacks. I know several dealers who would soon be bust if the did this:001_rolleyes: