What's on your bench today?

spudulike

One of the saws up for repair over the weekend - a trusty Husqvarna 394XP that had seized slightly - I say slightly as it had enough compression to stop me pulling it over fast enough for a decent compression check.

The bore has been cleaned of Aluminium transfer, lightly honed and the exhaust port cleaned of carbon and the bevel enhanced - don't want the rings catching. New Meteor piston fitted....what else:thumbup:

Pressure and vac tests - failed with a huge leak. Checked the decomp valve, lapped it in with grinding paste but that was fine, crank seal on the clutch side was OK - sometimes smaller leaks can get masked by the larger one so will retest after I have replaced.....THE MANIFOLD - it was cracked and almost impossible to see unless against the light or with pressure behind it and bubbly fluid all over it - that is why I do these tests - to STOP failure of the new parts!!!

The clutch was also shagged with the drum and clutch shoes destroyed. THis saw has been used for milling and its drivetrain shows that:thumbdown:

Genuine parts on order, aftermarket option offered but we decided that it may be a rash decision - a larger bill than I had expected but all cleared prior to purchase and repair - just the way I work and will be a good saw once done.

IMG_20150201_132636.jpg.8b8dd117fb72f4c2fae072a70048dc84.jpg

IMG_20150201_132455.jpg.093aac6d1fb09040615033e8249e762e.jpg

One little tip to avoid cross threading - put your plugs in using a small 2" length of large fuel line pushed on to the end electrode. It allows you to get to all those hard to get to plug holes - the MS200, MS660 and the like and just spins if the plug isn't sited correctly!

Nice looking job and good tip👍👍

Got a friend who's just bought a Husky 365 Special and wants to run it on Aspen. Will it need a slight tune or should it be ok? Sounds like he got it from a dealer but don't know if it's new or a reconditioned saw.

If its a new saw then it should run perfectly on Aspen as it will have been set up on Aspen in the factory.

If its a recon saw it may have been adjusted to petrol and may need a slight tweak on the L screw.

I just fitted some new clutch springs in Stihl 036, cleaned behind the clutch and found the oil pump :D buried in black oily gunge. Blew it out with the air line and some carb cleaner and got covered in it. Greased and put back together, might treat it to a new chain now.

I just fitted some new clutch springs in Stihl 036, cleaned behind the clutch and found the oil pump :D buried in black oily gunge. Blew it out with the air line and some carb cleaner and got covered in it. Greased and put back together, might treat it to a new chain now.

I know EXACTLY how that feels. Do yourself a big favour and get some eye protection if you haven't already - I find myself wearing safety specs most of the time now!

Well the dolmar I took a punt on ebay has turned out ok.

Stripped saw to bits, pulled cylinder everything good. Flushed out crankcase a few times until clean, quick hone of cylinder. Piston in good shape with only very light scoring but considering the age of saw nothing to panic about. New base gasket thinner than the old one, pressure tested 145psi got a mate of mine to vac test all ok. (My next purchase).:thumbup1:Two new clutch springs job's a good un. Oh cleaned and set carb . Buried the bugger in 14" of beech I had lying about, for a 27 year old saw Christ it can go:thumbup: