What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Yeah I did send him your way,about a year ago ....Sorry Steve no signal up here!! Make sure he pays on collection as he has a bad habit of forgetting.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I always do unless it is one of the few I trust through experience - you are of course one of them:thumbup:

Got an MS660 on the bench, came in after one of the owners lads got it stuck in the cut and appears to have removed the side cover and bang, the end of the crank has been busted off.

A real bugger of a break but after discussion, we are trying an aftermarket crank and new seals.

I have tried my new crank splitter and wow - top job, ten minutes later, one side is off but the other is being a real pig:001_rolleyes: Seems putting a busted drill through my thumb was worth it as it can take hours to split the cases on some saws!

Think I have got Rich's Australian pics on this one - seem to be upside down:lol:

IMG_20140805_183424.jpg.b0f489c3f9a1677ca48193c9b7198104.jpg

IMG_20140805_181816.jpg.ece768d20de95fa14b6a082659cb43ae.jpg

First thing to check on after market crank is the taper to taper fit on the flywheel. Dont rebuild it then find out the flywheel wont fit on.

It is a later 10mm and not the earlier 8mm, I fitted one of these cranks on a MS650 I rebuilt and all fitted OK - all nylon flywheels are 10mm.:thumbup:

The only after market one ive fitted was to a MS180 and the taper on the crank was machined to a different angle to the flywheel taper. Reassembled it all before i found out the flywheel wouldnt fit.

Will check it out but the last one I did was a good fit - not sure if the 180 had different variations in its lifetime but the early 066 Stihls had 8mm ends and ally flywheels but the power of the saw made the ends break so they fitted a 10mm end on it with the ally flywheel and then modified it to the nylon flywheel which I guess made the saw lighter, made it spin up faster and protected the crank.

Driving the other end of the crank out was a PITA, the bearing came out with the crank and was not going to come off the crank shaft so a bit of heat shifted it. I am not happy with the effort I had to use to remove it so have a new one on order.

Hope it goes back together easier! Shame after how well the splitter worked!