What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Just to show what was wrong with the starter is the pic below. The bushes had worn down beyond the limit causing an arch accross the connections. This ended up burning out the starter. So all who have quads if your starter doesn't work anymore remove it, clean it, and measure the bushes. This was a cheap fix as a second hand starter was £30. For a nice new one its £130, form America.

So the list of work done to this quad is.

Some wiring and fitting brake lights and indicators as well has hazard lights. And new battery.

The head has been completely re conditioned, and vales re seated.

The piston has been replaced with an oversized piston and ring set, the liner is not made anymore so this was my only route into this job. The compression before the job when the engine reached temp was 50psi, after the job it is now 160 psi.

Now this is leading me to another problem and that's the engine will turn over until it hits comp then it stops, like the battery has not enough power in it to keep it going over, nothing is getting stuck as it can be turned by foot until it hits comp and tries to throw you off the bike.

I have checked the valve clearence and all is fine. Is it possible to increase the comp too much in an engine that it will not start..????.

image.jpg.0fd925133b5e9564d4358bb5d780c1bc.jpg

I have checked the valve clearence and all is fine. Is it possible to increase the comp too much in an engine that it will not start..????.

You would need stupid compression to stop and engine firing - I have had saws up to 230psi and they work just fine - I guess you would be looking at much over that but TBH, the engine would probably still run.

Cranking it over may become an issue if too stupid:lol:

I need to get another reading on the tester. I've even used a car battery to see if the battery wasn't man enough. Still the same.

Believe me when I say that try and use the kick start and you will get thrown off the back. It hurts.... A lot...

Maybe I will INCREASE the squish band and see if that helps. :lol:

I need to get another reading on the tester. I've even used a car battery to see if the battery wasn't man enough. Still the same.

Believe me when I say that try and use the kick start and you will get thrown off the back. It hurts.... A lot...

Maybe I will INCREASE the squish band and see if that helps. :lol:

Have not followed the thread but if you get punted of the kick start could ignition be too far advanced ?

Have not followed the thread but if you get punted of the kick start could ignition be too far advanced ?

Thought this but afraid not. The bike doesn't work that way. It not points. Electronic ignition. Coil just sparks. Sounds confusing but I know it. Ther eh as a sensor but it works on the engine timing. So if the ignition is out then the engine timing would be aswell. But it isn't. Took me long enough to get it right in the first place.

Will get back on it tomoz if the snow doesn't beat me back again. :001_rolleyes:

More progress on the quad.

Decided today that I would remove the cam cover and get a good look at the timing marks. Guess what.

The cam was 180 degrees out. Yes up the wrong way. Something I done that I should have seen but didn't. There are two marks on the cam sprocket that when its sitting right are in line with the head top. But what I didn't see was a punch mark at the top that sits up vertical. This indicates that the sprocket is in the right position. So for not starting the spark was given off on the induction stroke causing the piston to stop dead. It was just at the right time that the valves would be almost closed.

But the bike is still not running as when I was putting the spark plug back in it broke around the thread and left the bottom part in. Got it out but new spark plug needed as its not a normal shape one that I have but a small long threaded one. Shop tomorrow.

Oh and I officially hate this bike. Be glad to get rid of it.

Impressed with your first effort lakey. Am wondering what exactly that hanging drill is above your bench with flexi drive - is that what you used? how did you get on? be very interested in the precise detail of your porting tools/attachments.

Think I'm gonna start with a strimmer! Don't want to risk a saw.

cheers

First of all thankyou :thumbup: yes that drill hanging up is what I used it's dremel type multitool made by gmc I'm quite impressed with it considering it cost just under 30 quid and the different bits I used were a 6mm ball shaped carbide burr and the sanding drums and grinding stones that came with the tool. Since those pictures I have smoothed/polished the exhaust port with wet and dry and a buffing wheel (also came with the tool) all in all I'm pleased with how it turned out :biggrin:

Using sthil saw today( not chainsaw).

Used it 3-4 times this morning, no probs,

Went to start it again it was just about solid, wouldn't pull, felt seized.

Took plug out, pushed piston down dropped some oil in, repeated this and it started and ran, sounded a bit ill. Noisy.

Big end? Small end?

Any thoughts?