What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Nice little Makita dcs5000, wouldnt start for love nor money. Pulled the cylinder and looks like the piston ring had caught the exhaust port, saw had done little/no work so cleaned up the cylinder with some acid and sanded some rough spots to see if it would make the effort. Been on the bench for a few weeks with the odd 15mins tinkering in the eves. even the ole gypsy's breathe wouldn't get it to fire so tried a bit of oil last week and it did make an attempt. Was going to bung it on the bay, as a spares or repair and write it off but thought i'd give it a last pull today. Blow me if it didn't start!!! half hr adjusting the idle and mixture and shes a good un. Not sure how long it'll go for with the scored bore/piston but its saved from fleabay for the time being. Starts 3rd pull every time now. Good times :biggrin::biggrin:

Nice little Makita dcs5000, wouldnt start for love nor money. Pulled the cylinder and looks like the piston ring had caught the exhaust port, saw had done little/no work so cleaned up the cylinder with some acid and sanded some rough spots to see if it would make the effort. Been on the bench for a few weeks with the odd 15mins tinkering in the eves. even the ole gypsy's breathe wouldn't get it to fire so tried a bit of oil last week and it did make an attempt. Was going to bung it on the bay, as a spares or repair and write it off but thought i'd give it a last pull today. Blow me if it didn't start!!! half hr adjusting the idle and mixture and shes a good un. Not sure how long it'll go for with the scored bore/piston but its saved from fleabay for the time being. Starts 3rd pull every time now. Good times :biggrin::biggrin:

The Acid test so to speak is to start the saw when it is very hot when the compression will be at it's lowest, if it starts fine then all is well - had low compression saws fail this test in the past:thumbdown:

Good luck

Today: Sachs Dolmar 112 anniversary (black and silver).

Looked in good nick but wouldn't start. So, off with the top cover and out with the plug. Big fat spark so no probs there. Couple of drops of petrol through the plug hole, quick with the plug and she fired like a good un.

Fuel starvation then.

Took carb etc off to check and it all looked ok with no furry corroded bits... So, fuel line to carb was dry.. checked inside the tank and the fuel line and bobbin were all in the bottom of the tank rolling around :-(

Out they came and the fuel line is so badly perished it's coming apart with the pliers.

New fuel line and bobbin, three pulls on choke and off she goes. Cut well for a few minutes. Nice balanced saw. Started revving way high on the top end though so maybe a stuck needle or I guess it may be pulling air in from one of the gaskets? Or perhaps a diaphragm let go after years sat doing nowt? If I needed a carb kit for one of these where would I start in the UK, it's a Tillotson HK.

Any thoughts people?

G

Today: Sachs Dolmar 112 anniversary (black and silver).

Looked in good nick but wouldn't start. So, off with the top cover and out with the plug. Big fat spark so no probs there. Couple of drops of petrol through the plug hole, quick with the plug and she fired like a good un.

Fuel starvation then.

Took carb etc off to check and it all looked ok with no furry corroded bits... So, fuel line to carb was dry.. checked inside the tank and the fuel line and bobbin were all in the bottom of the tank rolling around :-(

Out they came and the fuel line is so badly perished it's coming apart with the pliers.

New fuel line and bobbin, three pulls on choke and off she goes. Cut well for a few minutes. Nice balanced saw. Started revving way high on the top end though so maybe a stuck needle or I guess it may be pulling air in from one of the gaskets? Or perhaps a diaphragm let go after years sat doing nowt? If I needed a carb kit for one of these where would I start in the UK, it's a Tillotson HK.

Any thoughts people?

G

Rowena Motors Very good service and hold stock!

Yet another busy weekend - working on the base of my loncase clock - been badly repaired in the past so made up new oak parts to sympathatically repair it.

Had an 066 in that has seized, showed up fine on the carb, vac and pressure checks so baffled as to why it went pop, fuel was good also:confused1:

Finished the Solo, pics below, air filter really blocked, oil was reported as leaking but no faults found in my stripdown and final test - possibly a blocked oil hole on the bar that I don't have! : -

5976601169d8f_OilPump.JPG.6374870bd5aecdbed26c315b16c11125.JPG

5976601163f98_After2.JPG.e1b56a839f82d536ce6e2e7eac4f2098.JPG

597660115d343_After1.JPG.79aa3922984a0f1d46c46106a0d6cbdd.JPG

Before.JPG.adfda8492aa0d42e03ad6d8e4bbf8f71.JPG

Picked this up today MS361 was going to break it for parts but underneath all the muck its a nice saw, checked compression and its just shy of 170 psi. So she is going to get a full strip, clean and rebuild and added to the collection.

5976601b82392_Picture7002.jpg.d47c264e1d39cbf6d2c3235afe0854d5.jpg

5976601b805c5_Picture7001.jpg.98295667ad3a36a8b94e7bb2e36a5fb4.jpg

Got a MS660 in bits on the bench, for some reason it has seized, it passed pressure and vacuum testing. The tank breather and carb were OK although there was a residue of Hermatite in the carb where someone had used sealent when rebuilding it.

There was a small piece of crud in the low speed jet and the fuel filter had a strange amount of clag around it - not sure what it is but is cleaned out now.

Fitted a new Meteor piston after cleaning the aluminium transfer, compression is a little low but should improve once run a bit.

P1040244.JPG.55dca7ea8fb0f2e574fba849aa195457.JPG

5976601ca944d_FunnyFuel.JPG.2a28adb864f6c7baa6f0f0bfaa5c25a3.JPG

P1040243.JPG.c7a1b63855680c1a26f555fa28d7a931.JPG

P1040241.JPG.953a97a3d805e3dd810a05deee9aa49f.JPG

P1040240.JPG.95e0bc27bea7763a74d5d75bc12815dc.JPG

Spud, had my 200t in some heavy eucs today,(the one you had 'on your bench'), & it was superb,& also very nice on the pick up of revs when doing a light crown lift on an ash,it is so responsive to the right finger,& seems to shut down faster when you come off it too.