What's on your bench today?

spudulike

So rather then test 385xp compression tested the replacement tanaka 230 reading was 120 psi. So it turns out not as low as reading ( 100psi ) but still lowish.

A brand new 230 engine will produce 150psi

If a used engine 230 engine produced only 120psi using the same gauge then it would be right on the verge of failure and producing very little power. I have seen them running this low, but not well.

How old/worn is your replacement?

Replacement is 4 weeks old and had some work so new.

Hell, where did you get a new 230 from? They have been out of production for several years! Hang on to it though, the 230 was an incredible little machine. I sold my last 230 over a year ago.

But as I said, a new 230 will reach 150psi, so this indicates your gauge is under reading by 20%

So your old machine could actually be producing around 125psi, but this is about the lower limit for satisfactory running,

Thanks for help. Was to understand they have started remaking them as I was told be dealer I bought it from.

Certainly not making anymore, which is a shame. A brilliant engine but sadly falls way short of the current emission regs, so production stopped.

The 230 was replaced by the 240, but the 240 was nowhere near as good. The TBC240 is now being replaced by the TBC2390 which we hope will be as bullet proof as the old TBC230.

• 2 weeks later...

Been on a 560XP this week, the ring had snapped and left the bore with a whacking great gouge up the middle of the exhaust port up to the combustion chamber:thumbdown:

I sourced a competitive OEM cylinder and on stripping the saw down, found one of the stuffers was very loose. The option was rebuild or leave it and for the sake of a few hours, decided to strip it down.

I have one of the new pullers for the 560XP, having the stuffers stops you using the conventional "C" type puller that slides in to the crank cavity.

Having stripped it, I found the crank was a loose fit in to the inner race on the clutch side. Bearing lock will sort this, the bearing on the other side was a bit loose so am fitting new. The play in the stuffers seems to be down to the thrust washer part of them and a bit of adjustment has made them a much better fit. The rest of the stuffers are in good order so am refitting and reckon they will be fine.

Nice pullers:thumbup:

597672141b0d4_560XPPuller.jpg.c1a362c1a1d97643e9cc101f192e6216.jpg

Changed fuel line on 026, after reassembling and starting up it ran fine for about 15 mins then started cutting out on idle, then got worse and will now only really run at high revs, any ideas? Has some crap got into the system somewhere:(