New Aluminium Climbers Now Released For Sale

Nigel

I JUST got a pair of 'Climb Right' spikes...they are identical to the Stein except the colour is not blue and there is a spider logo on the bottom of the foot plate in between the grippy treads. Lo and behold that wear pattern has started and I had them on for only an hr.

I got mine with L pads and they cost $189...Dollars!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice outcome

well done stien

Just to clarify they are classed as PPE and do need to pass a loler if you wish to comply with those regulations:thumbup:

:thumbup:Yeah, good outcome.

As for spikes being classed as PPE, are they? I have always considered them to be and have always submitted them for thorough examination by LOLER examiner, and he has duly obliged.

However, I have read several threads and snippets that have raised a doubt. It may be being pedantic or splitting hairs but I have read that they:

1. Are classed as a climbing aid and not life support.

2. Should be inspected under PUWER and not LOLER.

3. Have read on different product information a) They have a lifespan of 5 Years (in line with LOLER), b) will last many years c) should be retired when the grip under the footplate is worn away

All this said, I will continue to submit the ones I use in work for six monthly LOLER as it must be prudent to do so.:thumbup1:

If you can confirm or contradict any of this I would be interested. Cheers.

without getting all my bumph out and then splitting hairs

what you are saying is correct

the way to comply with the puwer regs is to inspect under loler as generally winches ect

The general view is they are ppe as if they did fail you are likely to hurt yourself

A hi vis vest is ppe as are boots ect

Yes they are a climbing aid but so is a rope and all the rest of it

sorry could explain all this better but the outcome is still the same

P.s I would not worry on the 5yr rule for spikes and I have never seen a footplate wear out:thumbup:

:t

1. Are classed as a climbing aid and not life support.

2. Should be inspected under PUWER and not LOLER.

3. Have read on different product information a) They have a lifespan of 5 Years (in line with LOLER), b) will last many years c) should be retired when the grip under the footplate is worn away

the 5 year lifespan is normally a maximum for fabric items, ie slings and rope. ( although alot of manufacturers are now saying a maximum life of 10 years from manufacturing date) Metal items can be as long as they are in safe usable condition or as manufacturers stated guidelines.

the 5 year lifespan is normally a maximum for fabric items, ie slings and rope. ( although alot of manufacturers are now saying a maximum life of 10 years from manufacturing date) Metal items can be as long as they are in safe usable condition or as manufacturers stated guidelines.

Interesting point JP. Looking through the bumpf that came with some new steel keylock oval crabs and Petzl states the lifetime as 7 yrs. Marketing ploy or realistic representation of how long a 27 Kn steel crab will be safe for?:confused1:

I got the metal plates thanks Nigel, should do the trick.

The straps will be next as i notices one is wearing bad where it connects to the steel ring, why cant they have leather straps rather than thee crap ones supplied?

I must admit i was going to get Klines or Buckinghams but got persuaded to get the stiens and while there not bad there not fantastic either.

Edited by Ian C

This is muddying things for me now, I was under the impression that textiles had a maximum three year lifespan and metals five.?????

Where can this information be found, in the fine details of LOLER?

Interesting point JP. Looking through the bumpf that came with some new steel keylock oval crabs and Petzl states the lifetime as 7 yrs. Marketing ploy or realistic representation of how long a 27 Kn steel crab will be safe for?:confused1:

What are you using them for? hardly any of my gear lasts to its maximum life anyway. Glad im not the only person that reads and keeps the bumpf. :thumbup::thumbup:

This is muddying things for me now, I was under the impression that textiles had a maximum three year lifespan and metals five.?????

Where can this information be found, in the fine details of LOLER?

According to National Access and Rescue Center who are LOLER inspectors and LOLER trainer

Lifetime of Product

Related to textile products, not usually metalwork.

Usually a maximum of 5 years from first use of product.

Storage may be up to 5 years prior to use.

Store in cool dry, dark place away from contamination and damage.

Check with product user instructions for details.

Hope that helps you out. You should keep all your equipment manuals so you can check up on them.