MS201T. After all the hype was it worth it?

Gnarlyoak

I've been using a 201t for 1 year now. I like the saw and find it an improvement on the 200t. The differences are not massive however, as has been said, less fuel used (less stops to refuel), less vibration and I find it has a bit more power in big wood (although others have said it has less!).

Down side, pick up is slightly slower - a small price to pay compared to having to change the piston pump twice a year on my 200...I tend to flick the choke a bit till it warms up...no great drama.

The bottom line is, the MS201t meets the new emission levels set by Brussels, thats why they bought the saw out..not to make a radical improvement on the existing design.

All you guys waiting for the super-duper Husky climbing saw...don't hold your breath...all past offerings have been about as much use as wing-mirrors on a submarine :001_tt2:

have u had ago @ retuning the saw

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave it a bit of a tweak last year after it was run in, but its fine when its been running for a couple of minutes. I've gone over to a 14" bar and Oregon 91vs chain, the extra grunt means I've been using a groundsaw less in bigger wood by using reducing cuts.

I know its a minor thing but people have said about less fill ups but is the tank the same size as an ms 200t, or bigger, or even smaller ?? obviously if it is smaller then that says the fuel economy is good/better . if its the same size then not so . If it is larger then it might not be as good on fuel as a 200 ? Just wondered has any one been board/sad enough to check ?

• 11 months later...
So.... Its been a few months since the last post,

Has anything changed? Has anyone changed their minds about the 201?

Im about to buy a new saw, i think its safe to say there are no more 200's, so i would love a update from you all,

many thanks

Mine has improved, less boggyness, bit more poke and pick-up; still not a patch on the 200, but i'll drill a couple of holes in the muffler soon as shown on another thread and see what we see.

It's still the only show in town so you might as well get it; (hardening rumours on here however about the Husky)

Had mine about 4 months now so far I am happy with it, I prefer using it over a 200t seems more comfortable and better balanced, the way it cuts is different doesn't seem to have the grunt of a 200t but I've knocked big tops out of ash with it where I've needed to chase the hinge and its been fine rigged bits of ash oak and beech down fine.

My only gripe is it doesn't feel as robust build wise so if you was prone to breaking bits on a 200t you will break a 201 so don't let it slap about and keep it clipped short.

on the contrary...the 150T is a lovely little saw...but it's a pruning saw...it has no where near the power of a 200T or a 201T and was never intended as a replacement for these saws. I love mine, but when I pick up the 201 again it feels like a concrete block!