If You Run A Tree Business - This Affects You

Mr Ed

Dave - whatever you think, what you're carrying is classed as waste.

Arborlord - dont whinge about how hard treework is till you've done agricultural or forestry contracting

Dean - Giving away chip is pathetically bad business sense. Never given away chip in my life.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets play a game.....

Use this link to see if your competition has a licence or not

http://www2.environment-agency.gov.uk/epr/search.asp?type=register

Andy

I'm amazed at some of the "characters" who have a carriers license.Must put off the wheeltappers from weighing vehicles,dipping tanks,and checking V.I.N. plates!

Not too sure that I want to join the club now.:thumbdown:

Dean - Giving away chip is pathetically bad business sense. Never given away chip in my life.

No it isn't, what is, is charging £20 a load, loading it with a machine, taking it 8 miles for the customer to say, "hang on while I just move my car, open the gates or whatever" and spending 2 hours of your time earning £20 when I can earn £120 minimum in the same time.

Next year, I'm going to charge others £15 to tip their chip, and still give it away.

I absolutely love it when I see people advertising in the paper "Woodchip for sale" and they've got mountains of it and no room for anymore.

I actually add £20 per load into my pricing, so I have been paid already for my chip Ed.

No it isn't, what is, is charging £20 a load, loading it with a machine, taking it 8 miles for the customer to say, "hang on while I just move my car, open the gates or whatever" and spending 2 hours of your time earning £20 when I can earn £120 minimum in the same time.

Next year, I'm going to charge others £15 to tip their chip, and still give it away.

I absolutely love it when I see people advertising in the paper "Woodchip for sale" and they've got mountains of it and no room for anymore.

I actually add £20 per load into my pricing, so I have been paid already for my chip Ed.

I used to charge £100 a load minimum charge.

Having said that, if you could supply me details of these people with mountains of the stuff, as I will happily buy the lot off them.

I used to charge £100 a load minimum charge.

Having said that, if you could supply me details of these people with mountains of the stuff, as I will happily buy the lot off them.

Try the Lowther Bro's, Priestly hill, Queensbury, BFD. Just google it it should come up. I'm sure they'd be pleased to hear from you.

Just type Lowther Bros, queensbury :001_smile:

I never have and I can honestly say I have never charged for woodchip. The reason I bought my woodland is because it has an access road to a scoutcamp running through it. That means hundreds of cars every weekend drive slowly past my chip pile and see the free chip sign.

That was my business plan to get shut of woodchip without it costing money in a way where it is put to good use. All it has cost me is the price of the woodland, which has paid for itself and is an asset which increases in value.

Quite good business sense if you don't mind me blowing my own trumpet.

you might as well change that sign from 'free wood chip' to 'im a tree surgeon, come rob me or fly tip'!