charge for quotes?

Robert_S

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a "quote" to do last week, crappy little plum with some deadwood, 20 mins work max. They spent about 20 mins in the garden asking advice about this that and the other plus the 10 min drive each way! Big waste of time.

If a job is a long way away I will ask them what it is and if it sounds small I will wait until I'm in the area and give them a call.. I also send everyone (almost everyone) a written quote and invoice, no arguments about extras or you said.... Plus I'd forget the job some folks sit on a quote for 6 months or more.

I had a "quote" to do last week, crappy little plum with some deadwood, 20 mins work max. They spent about 20 mins in the garden asking advice about this that and the other plus the 10 min drive each way! Big waste of time.

If a job is a long way away I will ask them what it is and if it sounds small I will wait until I'm in the area and give them a call.. I also send everyone (almost everyone) a written quote and invoice, no arguments about extras or you said.... Plus I'd forget the job some folks sit on a quote for 6 months or more.

but even on the phone their 50ft ash is more often than not a 25ft maple when you get there!

Plus I'd forget the job some folks sit on a quote for 6 months or more.

i always put an expiry date on the quote, been caught out a few times when you go back and you have priced the job to drop cut the canopy and you find a new greenhouse,created flower bed and rovers grave (with headstone and flowers) under the tree...aaaaggggh as you moan to the groundie get the rigging bag:001_smile:

so i give them 3 weeks.

some interesting replies though

Totally agree about time wasters. Thing is, if we start charging for quotes, domestic customers will probably be even more inclined to give the job to some door-knocking do-as-you-likey. Just got to suck it up I reckon. It's sometimes worth going into a bit of detail during the original call. If someone wants 'a good trimming on the sides' of a big conifer, you can save yourself some diesel, can't you?

I charge for on-site visits these days

So in theory you are paid just to be there?? Kinda like a celebrity, i.e if you wanted the Pussycat Dolls to perform at your birthday party. How much would you charge to come round my house for a coffee??? haha:001_tongue: