charge for quotes?

Robert_S

Do any of you guys charge for quoting a job? i personally don't but with the price of fuel the way it is i wonder if it will become common practice.

The reason i ask is i had a call with the lady saying "do you do free quotes" but repeated it a few times almost like she was asked to pay before.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never charged but have thought about it. It will at least get rid of the time wasters who dont really want a job doing but just want to find out how much it would cost :confused1:

But I'm sure it would also loose quite alot of jobs since everyone does free quotation, well about from the odd dodgy ones who do free "estimates":sneaky2:

Most do free quotes, i do but what i have started doing is charging 25 quid for written quotes and tell them i will knock it off the job if i get it. this is because i have to go home type it out (half hour) post it off or deliver it then not get it. The last person used my written quote to give to the solicitors he was buying a house through to get half the money for the job then gave the job to a cheaper quote..... so hew was quids in and i lost a job my time and 2 journeys to his house!:sneaky2:

I, along with most people, will provide a quotation for free.

However, in my experience, people who ask "do you do free quotations?" as the first question on the phone are invariably time wasters.

They are going to want the world for £50 or are just 'getting an idea of price' to see if they might like it doing.

Or its some piss-potical little shrub that you might as well do there and then with a silky and throw in the car boot.

Quality clients with worthwhile jobs never ask.

Most do free quotes, i do but what i have started doing is charging 25 quid for written quotes and tell them i will knock it off the job if i get it. this is because i have to go home type it out (half hour) post it off or deliver it then not get it. The last person used my written quote to give to the solicitors he was buying a house through to get half the money for the job then gave the job to a cheaper quote..... so hew was quids in and i lost a job my time and 2 journeys to his house!:sneaky2:

I have started doing this in the case of house purchases too.

I am a business not a charity.