Tractor dilema Help

gensetsteve

now u've a good point here, it makes me chuckle that our new holland T7040 has one of these little stickers on the window but it came out the factory with 50k fitted. I mean who's kidding who, u supply a tractor with 50k, which i've paid extra for, and that little sticker on the window removes u from legal responsibilty when i'm caught doing 50k down the road!:confused1:

I guess they would argue that you may have a large estate with private roads of your own where you can do what speed you wish.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you choose to ignore the 20mph limit. and get caught, you open a whole can of worms, if your trailer isnt an airbraked one, with dual cicuit brakes and abs, construction and use ticket, your trailer tyres, rated for 50k, £1000 per tyre and 3 points each, insurance invalid, 3-6 points plus fine still think exceeding your 20mph in your big fancy tractor is worth it, yes VOSA and the traffic cops are starting to clamp down on speeding tractors, especially round harvest time with so many contractors employing youngsters to drive them. and just as a thought, they sell cars that can do more than 70mph, no-one is forcing you to exceed this either....lol

now u've a good point here, it makes me chuckle that our new holland T7040 has one of these little stickers on the window but it came out the factory with 50k fitted. I mean who's kidding who, u supply a tractor with 50k, which i've paid extra for, and that little sticker on the window removes u from legal responsibilty when i'm caught doing 50k down the road!:confused1:

i was pulled over by a traffic officer last harvest who was out with his speed trap... i was doing 32mph in a 30 in our T7030.. he just gave me a warning as wasn't going fast enough to prosecute.. he didnt have a clue about the 20mph limit... think we're the only farmers in 20 mile radius who have a tractor that does 20mph max..[old ford 8630 we leave on hedge cutter]..

I guess they would argue that you may have a large estate with private roads of your own where you can do what speed you wish.

oh how i wish i had an estate like that!!!! and the local plod wouldn't need to worry about catching our harvest student on it doing 50k, i wouldn't currently trust him with a padded cell after manageing to get the old ford :lol:7810 stuck in a 12ft gate with a 20ft trailer........will try and post some pics when i work out how to get them off my phone!!!! :lol:

25 miles in the grand scheme of things is not far to go even in something like an 8210 with a 30k box having just driven about that distance in mine which took approx 1hr 40-50 mins. they are cheap and reliable old tractors with good horsepower to boot! it has to be said that there can be an issue with speed when hauling especially as standard ag trailer tyres are not rated for speeds that a mog or fastrac will reach unless you uprate. with the tw series and bigger 10 series tractors you can buy them with 40k boxes or get on fitted which im told is not a great deal of heartache and brings you up to speed with most of the valtras anyway (which is what i plan to do with mine). faster is not always better and personally i think 50k might be asking for trouble in certain circumstances. in a tractor you keep chewing up that road and before you know it youre where you want to be and spending more doesnt buy any less mechanical problems just more expensive ones.

apologies for the rant . . .

cheers,

Andrew

25 miles in the grand scheme of things is not far to go even in something like an 8210 with a 30k box having just driven about that distance in mine which took approx 1hr 40-50 mins. they are cheap and reliable old tractors with good horsepower to boot! it has to be said that there can be an issue with speed when hauling especially as standard ag trailer tyres are not rated for speeds that a mog or fastrac will reach unless you uprate. with the tw series and bigger 10 series tractors you can buy them with 40k boxes or get on fitted which im told is not a great deal of heartache and brings you up to speed with most of the valtras anyway (which is what i plan to do with mine). faster is not always better and personally i think 50k might be asking for trouble in certain circumstances. in a tractor you keep chewing up that road and before you know it youre where you want to be and spending more doesnt buy any less mechanical problems just more expensive ones.

apologies for the rant . . .

cheers,

Andrew

I have to agree with you there, if its old or new it'll break down (trust me we have both!) and they never break down in the shed parked up!! Usually at a really busy time or a very inconvienient location!!!:biggrin:

Just thought I'd ad my 2 pence

I drive a ford 7910 and botex euro 560tl combination for a chestnut coppice firm in Kent. in my humble opinion the old ford is only just man enough for the job and on longer trips it is noticeably slow. if it were mine I'd be looking to replace it with a Newholland 8340 with 40k box and the few extra hp. I have heard of swapping a gear and tweaking the fuel pump to get 40k out of the 79/8210 fords but they don't tend to last too long after doing it

Good solid tools those big Fords, cut my teeth on an old Major then graduated to a 5000. My brothers had a cog fitted to the gearboxc of their 2850 John Deere to give 40kph ( maybe 50?) but they usually only pull a cattle trailer at that speed.

If I was driving with 14T on the back plus trailer weight then 20 mph is plenty fast enough. Need at least 100hp though, the big TW has that and FWD so it should be fine, just invest in a pair of ear muffs !. My brothers pull large grain trailers with a train weight of just under 23 tonnes loaded with 160hp JDs but not faster than about 18-20 mph.

A