starting up a new company from nothing!

leebayliss

Getting a business of the ground and earning a good living was the easy bit. Employing people I never got the hang of and 20 years later still none the wiser. :confused1:

Couldn't agree more. Ive ben trading for 23 years now and its the most challenging aspect of running an arb firm imo. :banghead:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're tapping into a wealth of experience with your post on here. Maybe FOCUS is important- set yourself targets- say to yourself 'I'm happy to sub to get started but want to have say a truck after 1 year' Then after the year is up check whether you are still happy to go on. If so, set yourself a year 2 target and so on. Also set a long term target- say 2 employees and premises in 5 years. This constant reassessment and reevaluating though it may seem anal is good practice and stops you drifting.

Otherwise just drift but most important- stay happy. It's not the end of the world if you change tack. It's just a different goal. Remember- most people will tell you their way is the right way- well I have to admit I made early mistakes based around not getting 'professional' gear from the start- It made life hard with constant breakdowns and slow progress. Don't make that mistake.

It helps to have good friends/good health/ luck/ a good sales technique/ few enemies/ patience/ loads of energy/ supportive family/ and probably most important- this is unlikely to happen overnight so you've got to have an attitude that can cope with that.

Then again- what do I know:confused1:

One of the best posts I've read on Arbtalk.

I think the best way to find the right staff is a long trial period, take them on as a sub contractor and put them through there paces for at least 12 months, late finishes with no extra pay, hard jobs, working to deadlines and drum in high standards always applying more pressure. if there worth taking on then they will stand buy you, work there socks off and be grateful for the work, if not then there seal there own fate and off they trot.

sounds harsh but its worked for me and ive got some great reliable blokes.

I think the best way to find the right staff is a long trial period, take them on as a sub contractor and put them through there paces for at least 12 months, late finishes with no extra pay, hard jobs, working to deadlines and drum in high standards always applying more pressure. if there worth taking on then they will stand buy you, work there socks off and be grateful for the work, if not then there seal there own fate and off they trot.

sounds harsh but its worked for me and ive got some great reliable blokes.

Mate, 12 months of late finishes with no extra pay will leave you with nobody but those who haven't got the sense to find somewhere better :thumbdown:

lol well not every day but the odd spanner in the works to keep them on there toes does the job. I run on a "job and nock" basis once the works done they go home. some days thats at 14:00 and some days its 18:00 but it all balances out in the end. the point i was making is the guys that appreciate the work will work there socks off and the time wasters that dont will take the early finishes and run but then winge when they have to work late!

lol well not every day but the odd spanner in the works to keep them on there toes does the job. I run on a "job and nock" basis once the works done they go home. some days thats at 14:00 and some days its 18:00 but it all balances out in the end. the point i was making is the guys that appreciate the work will work there socks off and the time wasters that dont will take the early finishes and run but then winge when they have to work late!

Ah, that's a different matter :biggrin:

My advice would be the same as most here. I ran close to the edge a little to often. Things go wrong. Things go badly wrong.

You get sick, your guys gets sick, your gear gets nicked, your chipper dies, your truck develops sudden immediate rust, your accountant screws up, your big job never pays, your insurance cost doubles etc etc etc

You will need a backstop. Keep say 2k in your accounts, only spend the $ you have above that and budget above that. In a separate account keep another grand. If your still in business and get down to that last "Gutter grand" your in more than just trouble.

Every year as you get bigger, the limit has to be increased as your level of potential costs greatly increase.

i started after redunancy ( no payout), with just the landy.

watched every penny like it was my last ( often it was )

worked every hour of daylight, and even some nights.

did everything that came my way, from cutting hedges to cutting kindling.

saved hard, bought an old knackered trailer,

found a farmer who'd let me burn the brash on his land (for a drink)

forgot holidays, going out, every penny went into paying the bills, or back into the business.

now i don't work as hard.

cash in the bank,

three vans, tracked chipper, new saws, tractors, trailers, all the toys.

main lessons i learnt,

watch EVERY penny, dont pay £1.50 for something if you can get it elsewhere for £1.40.

chase every job like its your last, it may be

give a price, and stick to it, everyone will try and knock you down a bit.

always put in writing what you'll be doing for the customer, for how much, and what (if anything) they're doing for you.

turn up when you say you will, even if its p&&sing it down and you intend doing nowt. turn up, tell the client why you're doing nowt. they'll think more of you.

and finally, when you've done the above, you've grey/bald, you can have the headache of becoming an EMPLOYER...:lol::lol:

good luck. you'll love it

i do