Should the AA approve contractors who run 3.5 ton trucks?

benedmonds

I m 48 yoa and still on the tools and up the trees, maybe some of you senior members who are no longer on the tools have forgoten what really goes on, .

All opinions are valued, we all see things from a different position. I can assure you that most of the senior members, inc moderators, are still "on the tools" and thats what makes this site so good. We do not sit high above in some ivory towers casting opinion on lowly cutters. Many of us face the daily trials and tribulations

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know that 3.5 to trucks are going to be overloaded in tree work.

So the AA or councils approving contractors who use them must be turning a blind eye to this, unlawful, dangerous, work practice.. Should they be?

and if it's OK to be overloaded is it OK to skirt round other H&S?

I don't agree with your main point re the AA, BUT there is a without doubt a great deal of willful overloading going on.

At the recent show there was a lovely Mitsubishi Canter, massive chip box and tool box, really, really nice!!

Pay load............................600KG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wtf:

Wow, welcome to the AA shop everyone, real sorry I'm so late to the party but only returned from Justins show late last night.

I can't possibly answer all the very valid points and comments raised (thank you) and thansk to Ben for raising the issue.

Bottom line I'm not naive enough to think 'ArbACs' get things right all of the time but by having gone through the process of assessment they've demonstarted they know how things should be, AND they can demo getting things right, and (hopefully) they do do things right most of the time.

Regarding the issue of vehicles and overloading, simply IF, on the day of assessment, we observe this (usually by seeing a stonking big pile of chip on board and looking at the springs) we will raise the issue and recommend they visit their local weighbride to 'enlighten' themsleves before 'Mr Plod' does and avoid similar overloading in the future. IF however we don't see this we may dicsuss the issue BUT there are other far more important issues that the scheme concerns itself with, not least as there are other authorities (NOT that the AA are an authority but 'figure of speech'...sorry!) far better placed than the AA to deal with such matters.

Regarding H&S in general, this is a 'culture' thing that should prevail in any business and it's implentation is a balance, along with everything else a business needs to do...including earn money!

The AA website (see Help becoming an ARB Approved Contractor PLEASE don't be put off coz it says 'Help bcoming an ArbAC' this applies equally to ALL businesses!) can now help you put a basic H&S document framework in place but the 'culture' is down to you. IMHO the most important part of the H&S system is the site risk assessment, and accompanying method statement if applicable, so this is the part to major on and, in my expereince, it's the part that is often below the standard it needs to be. Potentialy this document alone will avoid accidents and prevent injuries, please don;t overlook it.

Sorry, bit of a short respones considering what's gone before and as a parting shot please don't judge the scheme by your previous expereince of working for an ArbAC who perhaps ran overloaded, not to say that's okay by any means, but the scheme and the ethos behind it is about so much more.

Thanks all and excuse if I donl;t reply for a couple fo weeks (or so) as I'm takin some time to reintroduce myself to the family and hopefully in sunnier climes.

Take care out there and good to see those who I did at the SE show...great British weather prevailed!

Cheers..

Paul

What we are forgetting is that the law has not caught up with vehicle design, the transit of 20 years ago may well have been dangerous at 4.5 tons, the transit of today is not. Mine has abs traction control and an engine capable of carrying the load.

I take a common sense approach, if I felt that my van was dangerous I'd change it.

TD Tree & Land Services Ltd.

What we are forgetting is that the law has not caught up with vehicle design, the transit of 20 years ago may well have been dangerous at 4.5 tons, the transit of today is not. Mine has abs traction control and an engine capable of carrying the load.

I take a common sense approach, if I felt that my van was dangerous I'd change it.

TD Tree & Land Services Ltd.

I don’t think it’s a case of the law keeping up with vehicle design, vehicle design follows the law. Manufacturers build to suit driving licence categories and provide engines with an eye on taxation classes.

Manufactures have to build to a design weight and within those constraints are as economical with materials as they can be.

Your transit may well pull like a good un at a 1000kg overweight but running it at its limits will lead to a premature death, cycles to failure and all that.

I was done for my old mog being over weight. They put it on a rolling road and said "its got the sort of brakes we like on artic's". I was 2 tonne over on the rear axel, they freely admitted that the brakes were more than adequate for the extra weight.

I still got done, its the weight on the plate, not what it will safely carry.

I don’t think it’s a case of the law keeping up with vehicle design, vehicle design follows the law. Manufacturers build to suit driving licence categories and provide engines with an eye on taxation classes.

Manufactures have to build to a design weight and within those constraints are as economical with materials as they can be.

Thats why I bought an Iveco 3.5 ton that was designed to be 4.5 tons :thumbup:

Is that not heavier than a 3.5 tonner, that was built as a 3.5 tonner????:confused1: meaning less pay load.

Yes it probably weighs 2.5 tonne empty. Often they have twin rear wheels and chew the juice. They look a bit chunkier and you can make brum brum noises and pretend your yorkie man.:biggrin: