1 hours chipping near Worcester

IRONJACK

I had another thought about what constitutes an hours, if you local, on your way past, kind of job.

Scenario. You finish a "proper" job at 1pm and you have to be at the next proper job at/by 2pm. If there is a "favour" job you can do on the way to the second job that will not make you late then thats an hours work for £50. i.e. you were passing anyway and it didn't stop you making your second job on time. Running half an hour late from the first job would make it impossible to do the "favour job" and so you would have to go straight to the second "proper" job.

So rather than this being an hours work for £50 its a favour for £50 to someone who happens to be ahead of schedule enough to fit it in.

This is not taking into account though the amount of woodchip on the truck from the first job and the amount of space needed for the second.

I try and organise jobs so that 2-3 jobs will fit into the truck at once, otherwise I have to factor in emptying between jobs which is a pain. So any favour that I did in the middle would have to not effect the ability to complete the real work.

I think IRONJACK has much to learn about time and motion and google probably wont help. Its not us who needs to save a fortune, we need to make a living by not saving others money.

I suppose womeone could do it oif they had completed their full days work an hour ealry and still had space in the truck, but then that is impossible to book in in advance and make a specific point in time to meet and do the work. I have friends askign me for favours all the time, and I say yes, one day, no worries. When they start saying when are you comeing then it becomes work and its no longer a favour. If they need an actual time then it needs quoting and agreeing at usual rates (2 hour minimum) and then it can be booked in.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For what reason though??

If your local its gonna cost next to nowt in fuel to get there. Won't cost much to run the chipper, and its costs me nothing to get rid of waste.

I don't live locally and I don't have a chipper ... so im only talking theoretically :001_tt2:

My thoughts exactly. But apparently we're both clinically insane...

Ironjack- you want someone to leave their house, check that the machine is greased, fuelled, ready for work, hitch it up, drive to the site, set up (including the hellos and deciding where to park etc etc) do the job, drive back and tip, or even go via their yard or tip site if that isnt home, get back and un hitch and get ready for the next job with the machine .....yet you maintain its an hours work? Even if the job was 3 miles down the road it is more than an hours work.

If the brash is all neatly stacked i can fill my truck with about 3 cubic metre if brash in about 25 minutes....so your hours worth of chipping would necessitate leaving site to empty the truck during that hour too.....involving unhitching, more diesel... blah blah blah.....do you begin to see why that £50 is beginning to be a long way off realistic and that we arent being greedy?

NO tommer9 I don't. I said if your in the area, i.e. between jobs, if its not to far out of the way for you.

An hours work is £60 minimum... My transit and tw to fill takes about 30 45 mins to fill then it becomes £150 due to the round trip wear and tear ect if some one can fit it in then fair play... Other wise buy a 14grand bit of kit your self along with the truck insurance, diesel ect and make it pay... If not buy a stolen one , dont pay insurance and become the A holes I have to compeat against.

And another thought about time and motion: Have the chipper on site while doing the work and get both aspects of the job done at the same time therefore requiring less motion!

JESUS CHRIST. (sorry mod)

I was advised by a tree surgeon of more than 10 years to put a post on here, after I asked him where the best place to hire a chipper was.

Said surgeon has done exactly the same thing before when working away, by calling round a few local companies, and guess what? It got done.

I've put an offer on the table, your not interested? Go read something else. I don't need to be patronised, insulted and practically made fun of because I thought I might actually be doing someone a favour!

Not everyone on here agrees with you Rupe, so don't bark at me like I'm simple.

I'm a Sky TV engineer at present, and know plenty about time & motion, doing up to 7-8 jobs a day, and still managing to fit unscheduled call-in's for other engineers/customers into my day.

IF anyone is interested. IF Bishampton may be on your way to somewhere, at SOME point over the next few weeks, let me know.

The pile of brash would probably just spill over an empty high sided transit tipper - UNCHIPPED. If you don't have enough room for all the chippings, no worries, my Dad will deal with the rest himself. I was going to hire a chipper and leave them all for him, so anything that can be removed will be a bonus but not essential.

i have never thrown a negative comment on this forum before so here goes ...what a pile of rubbish comments ! £50 to chip for an hour if your local or at the end of the days work is bang on , if i could do 5 of them a week thats an extra 250 a week ,some of you guys i just dont understand ,we should be glad of little earnrs such a 50 pound here and there ,and helping out some one on here at the same time