1 hours chipping near Worcester

IRONJACK

Got a large pile of brash in my Dads front garden, Church lane, Bishampton. Nothing in there over 3". Can't see it taking a commercial chipper more than an hour. (I'd love to help) Chips to be taken away.

Is £50 fair? No massive hurry but within the next few weeks if your in the area?

Nope; I would expect it to qualify for 1/2 day rate minimum and that's only if soneones got a gap to fit it in. 1 hour of actual chipping equates to probably 6 hours hassle.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd have about 20p left after all the fannying about to do the job.

For what reason though??

If your local its gonna cost next to nowt in fuel to get there. Won't cost much to run the chipper, and its costs me nothing to get rid of waste.

I don't live locally and I don't have a chipper ... so im only talking theoretically :001_tt2:

Nope; I would expect it to qualify for 1/2 day rate minimum and that's only if soneones got a gap to fit it in. 1 hour of actual chipping equates to probably 6 hours hassle.

6 hours?! Google 'time and motion' it will save you a fortune!

Come on guys, I thought times were hard? £50 and a 6 pack??

We work on minimum 2 hour jobs, that becasue with small jobs you could do four in a day. If your job is an hour, then are saying somebody could easily do 8 of them in a day with a bit of traveling (2-3miles only say) between each one, including setting up, tidying up a quick chat with the customer (you in this case) and sufficient tea breaks and lunhc breaks? ( plus emptying the truck every time it gets full. )

IMO there is no such thing as a one hour job, unless the actuall working time is 10-15minutes. So we have a minimum charge of 2 hours for any small 1 hr job unless the job is literally going to take less than 20 minutes. So we are £120 minimum. But chipping up someone elses mess would be charged higher.

My chippper is there to clear up my debris from my work, so for a days tree work at around 480.00 the chipper would probably only be running for an hour tops, so to go and to an hours chipping for someone and remove chips, well thats close to a days work, just with no climbing.

If your actuall chipping takes an hour then that could fill someones truck, even if it only half fills it, they might not then be able to go to another job until its emptied so there is the time involved in emptying too before they can get on with the other 7 1 hour jobs they have to do.

Ironjack- you want someone to leave their house, check that the machine is greased, fuelled, ready for work, hitch it up, drive to the site, set up (including the hellos and deciding where to park etc etc) do the job, drive back and tip, or even go via their yard or tip site if that isnt home, get back and un hitch and get ready for the next job with the machine .....yet you maintain its an hours work? Even if the job was 3 miles down the road it is more than an hours work.

If the brash is all neatly stacked i can fill my truck with about 3 cubic metre if brash in about 25 minutes....so your hours worth of chipping would necessitate leaving site to empty the truck during that hour too.....involving unhitching, more diesel... blah blah blah.....do you begin to see why that £50 is beginning to be a long way off realistic and that we arent being greedy?

Edited by tommer9

6 hours?! Google 'time and motion' it will save you a fortune!

Come on guys, I thought times were hard? £50 and a 6 pack??

Post a picture of the pile.......not that I'm interested, but it would be good to see what you think an hours work is.

£50 aint taking the piss, come on guys, Jack is a good bloke, he's done a few days with me in the woods and he's keen to learn. Fuel on top is a liberty, we all know it costs pence to run a chipper for less than an hour. Give him a break and stop being greedy! It's cash!! Come on you greedy worcester lot, help a bloke out![/QUOT

Why dont you do it :001_smile: its only up the M5 and jack might return the favour some day :001_smile:

£50 aint alot nowadays .

I no longer chip other peoples brash any more because I could never do it as quick as they said it would take. It always ended in bad feelings so I just dont do it now.

For what its worth even the cheapest skips cost £100 now, so I would halve be looking for at least that.

£50 aint taking the piss, come on guys, Jack is a good bloke, he's done a few days with me in the woods and he's keen to learn. Fuel on top is a liberty, we all know it costs pence to run a chipper for less than an hour. Give him a break and stop being greedy! It's cash!! Come on you greedy worcester lot, help a bloke out![/QUOT

Why dont you do it :001_smile: its only up the M5 and jack might return the favour some day :001_smile:

£50 aint alot nowadays .

If i had a job in Worcs i would do it. Its over an hour away for me so its not viable. :001_tt2: