Hows the log sales going now

mendiplogs

I decided not to bother this year as price delivered in was £55 a metre + vat. This makes a loose cubic metre of firewood will cost me £35 before I use the red the white the petrol and 35k worth of equipment. Luckily I bought a few loads in just to satisfy the caveman in me and stop the kit rusting up. I have seen 1 cu advertised locally for £48. That would leave me with about a £1 an hour I will let them crack on and see what happens in January before I order cord for next year. :thumbup1:

Still will be interesting to see who still has logs left in March.

Let everyone else do the panic bit.... as said winter hasn't arrived yet.

I've only come across one person who still had logs left after last winter. I've never made it through a season yet with dry logs to spare.

In some ways you want to have a tiny bit left over so you can keep your customers. I turned 80 enquires away last year..... they must have gone elsewhere and some will have stuck to their new supplier.

Still will be interesting to see who still has logs left in March.

Let everyone else do the panic bit.... as said winter hasn't arrived yet.

I've only come across one person who still had logs left after last winter. I've never made it through a season yet with dry logs to spare.

In some ways you want to have a tiny bit left over so you can keep your customers. I turned 80 enquires away last year..... they must have gone elsewhere and some will have stuck to their new supplier.

I like to have about 40 ton left over by beginning of april. it means you can serve all the boy scouts who order in april and may and still impress them with the dryness of your product. it keeps them loyal.

turning away orders makes me cringe and i hate to be in that position. this year there seems little chance of that happening unless with have 10ft of snow and i'm stuck in the yard.

the only silver lining is for others as lack of supply must push up prices assuming the competition isbright enough to take advantage of the situation.

a chap just out of sudbury, red and blue tranny tipper, hasnt changed his £100 a load in years. really cant match that price. another chap 2 miles away, started this yr....£70 for same amount of logs as my £100 load!! oh well, im not too fussed! Its not worth doing at that money so i'll just sit on my eggs for a while i think

I've seen that red and blue transit about, do you know where he is based ?

How he can do a transit load for £100 is beyond me, i followed him a few weeks ago he had a heaped load on at the time and the logs looked good quality.

Spoke to my Father-in-law yesterday, he's ordered some logs from someone he knows.

"How much?"

"£90 a load"

"How much is a load?"

"Don't know."

:001_rolleyes:

Update: He had his logs delivered a couple of weeks ago, I haven't been round to see how much was delivered though. But here's the shocker - I spoke to him today and between him and his neighbour they've had a 200+ year old oak felled and they had the lot taken away. To say I'm gutted would be a huge understatement. :crying:

I've seen that red and blue transit about, do you know where he is based ?

How he can do a transit load for £100 is beyond me, i followed him a few weeks ago he had a heaped load on at the time and the logs looked good quality.

He is in Melford, nice old boy. Just plods along each day, doing the odd load or 2

6 orders today, half new and half previous buyers, failed with the hard sell on my softwood, and agreed to part with my hardwood logs to a new, Woodburner owner. After the past 2 winters with not enough hardwood to supply demand, I still cannot get used to actually still having a barn load at the end of November!

We offer die hard "hardwood" people a free no obligation net of softwood logs as an alternative, works well as 95% of people are usually happy to buy them afterwards. I suggest you try that next time someone calls up asking specifically for hardwood....

It's got to be the future if you have the right burner set-up, advice welcome re flue. I've just split a cube of pine which I felled two years ago once its fully dried I'm gonna try it with anger. I load the burner up with beech or ash and it cooks me. Obviously I work outdoors all day so I need little warmth of on evening. The wife however is like a Salamander roasting away in an aquarium! I agree hardwood may not always be necessary. Next time I take a pine down it's coming back to the yard!!!