Own Up!?!

PeteB

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done some very heavy pollards on trees that certainly weren't in the interests of the tree. I'll always point out firmly to the customer what I feel is the best course to take but if they have thought it out and are adamant and the tree is unprotected and or permission has been applied for I'll do it.

It's not the norm and in 8 years I can only think of 3 examples of doing this but I didn't and still don't think it was shoddy practice.

......and then when the tree resprouts and they end up with 10 branches growing from one stub...blah blah blah.

Short term fix.......long term problem...more often than not, the view would have been better leaving the tree alone or fell and replant a smaller species

Now they will have an endless cycle of laying out money to maintain a clutter free view

......and then when the tree resprouts and they end up with 10 branches growing from one stub...blah blah blah.

Short term fix.......long term problem...more often than not, the view would have been better leaving the tree alone or fell and replant a smaller species

Now they will have an endless cycle of laying out money to maintain a clutter free view

That is true Dean and I agree fell and plant a smaller species perhaps not in direct line of sight.

But on the other side if they are happy to get into this cycle and have looked at all the possible avenues and this is still their preferred option?.... Are they wrong?

What about France where pollarding is a regular thing? That's how they look after and maintain many of the street trees. Are they wrong?

My missus is from New Zealand and I've been over several times. If you took the moral high ground and walked away from jobs because you didn't agree with what the customer wanted over there this would likely give you a bad reputation!

That is true Dean and I agree fell and plant a smaller species perhaps not in direct line of sight.

But on the other side if they are happy to get into this cycle and have looked at all the possible avenues and this is still their preferred option?.... Are they wrong?

What about France where pollarding is a regular thing? That's how they look after and maintain many of the street trees. Are they wrong?

My missus is from New Zealand and I've been over several times. If you took the moral high ground and walked away from jobs because you didn't agree with what the customer wanted over there this would likely give you a bad reputation!

This is the more realistic view and generally my approach

The customer is always right even when they are wrong

You can suggest a different approach but in their garden it's their tree and unless they are the listening kind then you've little option.

So often in tree work you are slated by someone whatever you do

Take it out

light trim

thin

pollard

whatever

someone will say you should have done it differently.

This is because they generally don't take into account the needs of the tree or the needs of the householder(light/gutters/leaves)