beginning to climb

paul k

Hi there don't worry about speed the instructed and asseor will not be worried how quicky go all they will want is a nice safe climb and carefull cutting techneqiucs in a safe manor , speed will not be on there mind . Speed only comes with time in the saddle and there is no way round it . It's a natural progression and everone will develop and a different rate the more work y do the better it becomes as it is with any skill y learn .from scratch Over the next couple of years climbing full time y will speed up and develop and master all those skills

if y try to rush before you are ready you will find that the quality and safety of your work will be of a poor standard .

Take your time and enjoy the course and don't rush the assessment

good luck and all the best

littletree :thumbup:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

slighty moving on from a point made earlier in this thread efficencey is a good thing to aim for. i would say to speed up the overall process. slow down each part so you are not rush and missing something. and the best way to get fit for climbing is climbing. good luck i hope this made sense a little bit if it didnt then take the good luck bit and forget the rest

Planning your route is quite important. Also if you can get a line up above where you need to work (throw line) and isolate it, i.e split branch removal. You will be vastly quicker and more efficent than climbing to the top, placing you anchor, then going to cut.

Hi, Lots of good advice here.... DONT rush there is no need. Like most people have said already the speed comes with experience and lots of practice, if you try to rush it too early you could as a worst case scenario, kill yourself, so dont rush and just make sure you do everything correctly and safely. Good luck and stay safe :thumbup:

well after a week of climbing and a few rescues i've decided to put my assessment on hold to get a bit more experience, I need to be absolutely sure of what i'm doing before i do it. I have nailed the theory side and i know what to do in the tree (when i'm on the ground) but i'm just not good enough on the knots and selecting anchors and stuff so my 38/39 is on hold so i can build up more experience, kinda annoyed that i started a course and couldn't finish it but i just need a bit more experience

I'd really like to run tree climber confidence courses. I think it would be easy to day course for poeple in your position, i.e. trained but not assessed, and give you the confidence you need. There are lots of excercises to build cnfidence, so a few guys at £40 a day could make a nice little course. Might have to give it some thought!

I agree with all the above comments I work as a part time arb instructor and sometimes get asked to be a 'casualty' for some of the short course assessments.There is NO time limit on the 1st part of the assessment which is the climbing so don't panic just get it right and keep ur ropes tidy.The second part is the aerial rescue but you don't have to climb to the top of the tree just know wot ur doing and do it right and safely.The fitness and hardening of the hands just comes with time and practise.Good luck.