Good wage for a groundie/Inexperienced climber?

Mozza

Basic wage for a skilled worker (groundie or climber)should be at least £100 a day. As Andy says £50/£60 a day will only get you monkeys who sit around all day on thier phones.

Pay a good wage for good workers.

Bit of a job when certain areas a tree crew can only muster £300 tops on average..

Andy I was on £300 a week, 20 years ago working on a building site..

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of a job when certain areas a tree crew can only muster £300 tops on average..

Andy I was on £300 a week, 20 years ago working on a building site..

Is this not a bit of what comes first chicken or Egg?

prices driven down by competititon and then wages driven down by low quotes.

Always seams to be the first thing that gets hit is the wages, agree it is the one big regular bill but there must be other ways of reducing costs.

As a business owner, I bet thats all I'm on after taking off all the over heads, £100 a day that is. I don't think a groundy should be on the same wage as me.

I agree with Deans point. If the groundy is worth more than Dean then what should Dean be paid? Its hyperthetical as the business can only afford to pay them £xxx.

What is different is one off payments ie NOT employed.

I may have come accross as tight with regards as to paying a full time employee but I apply the same principles to one off jobs (all of mine :mad1:). Last 2 climbing jobs I paid one groundy £120/day (climbing tickets no experiance) for one job and another £160/day (20yrs experianced climber). I also pay a friend (Bob) £50-£60/day to drag brash (no tickets, would work for nothing to help out).

I cannot pay £120-£160/day for groundies on all jobs, but that is what they were worth in experiance, skill and to my business to help me complete the jobs how I wanted to on budget. In return I exect them to have the competance to refect what I pay.

In Bobs case its to know when to order the tea n biscuits or take some video as in the Elm dismantle ..................................................................................................................................the lazzy sod that was ages ago, time to give him the sack :sneaky2:

pay them what there worth and if its not enough then dont pay em owt

if there worth more than you then so be it

my groundies get well paid but its not really me that pays them is it it is the job that pays there wages

good lads need good money end of

i can get good lads anytime i want as i pay good and do not treat them like sh1t and they know enough to make the job go sweet and we get more done than turning up with nuppets that you have to tell everything and you end up working harder and not as effeciently

So for paying an extra bit in my opinion you get so much more

As a business owner, I bet thats all I'm on after taking off all the over heads, £100 a day that is. I don't think a groundy should be on the same wage as me.

If you are taking costs of buying equipment in this price then Yes i expect you are on £100 a day , but in time when all is paid for you will have £x,000`s of equipment you can then sell!!!

Having run a business also i know how easy it is to make your own wages per day what you like!

You wouldn`t have the equipment you have if your only on £100 a day , your business turn over would be a lot higher than that. You couldn`t borrow bugger all with income like that.

If you are lucky enough to own/bought your equipment out right then either you have come from wealthy parents or your on more than £100 a day!!

I charge an absolute minimum of £350 per day.

I'm on roughly £100 after taking off all my overheads.

I analyse my books before they go to the accountant and taking off all costs, wages etc that's what Im on.

I spend a lot on machinery maintenance as you will know if you read my landrover thread. I believe in not skimping on tackle quality and maintainance.

I also calculate that my chipper costs £15 per hour to run inc servicing and blades. If you put that away then by the time your chipper has done 2000 hours you should have enough to one side to buy a new one.

I charge an absolute minimum of £350 per day.

I'm on roughly £100 after taking off all my overheads.

I analyse my books before they go to the accountant and taking off all costs, wages etc that's what Im on.

I spend a lot on machinery maintenance as you will know if you read my landrover thread. I believe in not skimping on tackle quality and maintainance.

I also calculate that my chipper costs £15 per hour to run inc servicing and blades. If you put that away then by the time your chipper has done 2000 hours you should have enough to one side to buy a new one.

Very sensible business plan good on you .

As i stated in time when it`s time to hang up the boots you will have a good range of good quality equipment to sell which will increase your wage over your working life by £xxx,000 this should then be added into your earnings .

Very sensible business plan good on you .

As i stated in time when it`s time to hang up the boots you will have a good range of good quality equipment to sell which will increase your wage over your working life by £xxx,000 this should then be added into your earnings .

Probably have a final tax demand that will eat it all up :001_tongue:

Lets look at it from a slightly different slant, the building trade is going thru a bit of a slump right now, yet any of the trades are still charging top money. Go thru your local YP/Thomson directory, there are far more plumbers/sparkies in there than arborists. If people want the work doing, then they have to pay for it whatever trade. None of us will do ourselves any favours underselling, just cos your the cheapest wont pay the bills when you've gone bust. That kit still requires maintenance, the lads still need paying for hols and so on. How are people going to pay for the finance on their kit if they drop their prices?

Inflation keeps pushing up the cost of living, so why would anyone cut their prices, and earn less?