Good wage for a groundie/Inexperienced climber?

Mozza

Tbh reading some of the comments in this thread, its no wonder that staff become disillusioned with this trade and end up taking up other trades, hell even Lidl pay more!!

Exactly Andy, thats why such as Jim Lidgitt are looking at leaving arb!

I understand the point about newbies always asking for work, but i would rather keep a good one by giving him good money.

As this thread is about "what money for a good groundy/inexperienced climber", i will admit i just paid a good groundy £185 for the last two days and £40 for two hours this morning. After all he is good, and he left my house happy, and keen. That means a lot to me. But hey, shoot me down!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are all dragged down by the lowest prices in your area. Ie here it is £240 a day for two man team.

Not reallly a hard and fast rule.

The majority of my customers appreciate the standard of workmanship done and as a result, a lot of my work comes from repaet business or recommendations, where the customer is not interested in other quotes.

They are not stupid either, they appreciate good workmanship costs and now when they are being charged too much.

I believe you can only trade for so long and will only get just enough work to keep you going if you do crap workmanship or leave a mess and broken, crushed flowers ect.

I have actually just put up my prices and I know for a fact I am more expensive than others. Yet I'm no where near short of work. I've priced and won three jobs today, all for whom I have done work for previously.

It's not all about how much your day rate is.

The skills needed in many aspects of grounding should mean a good wage in return....

...There are not enough customers in Britain to pay the number of tree companies with two man, well equipped, pro teams any more than £300 a day let alone £400 a day which is nearer the mark.

:ohmy:

:ohmy:

so true.

Competiotion drives down the price for the customer. They benefit, not the arb firms. The arb firms work for less and pay gets stretched.

We are all dragged down by the lowest prices in your area. Ie here it is £240 a day for two man team.

We cannot compete for that money and they will run their company into the ground inside three years. Customer wins but as for wages- it filters down to low wages for employees.

Minefield:mad1:

:ohmy:That price is from 1998, :thumbdown: and for some it still applies now

:scared1:

Been giving this thread some thought, thinking back to the 80's as a plasterers labourer, earning £280 a week, warehouseman in the 90's earning £340 a week (left that job in 96) so are people saying that effectively wages have stayed around the same level for the last 12 years??? Of course with inflation taken into consideration, your actually earning less than that!! Absolutely absurd.

BUT...............which would you prefer to do?????????

Well I think that would be an easy one for me... Fireman all the way. I hate the tube, the money wouldn't be enough to entice me to drive one. I have done jobs in the past that were exceptionally high wages plus bonus'. I left the telecoms industry in 2001 and have never looked back. I need some stimulation on a day to day basis and a challenge. That is why I do this job.:001_cool:

Been giving this thread some thought, thinking back to the 80's as a plasterers labourer, earning £280 a week, warehouseman in the 90's earning £340 a week (left that job in 96) so are people saying that effectively wages have stayed around the same level for the last 12 years??? Of course with inflation taken into consideration, your actually earning less than that!! Absolutely absurd.

Basic wage for a skilled worker (groundie or climber)should be at least £100 a day. As Andy says £50/£60 a day will only get you monkeys who sit around all day on thier phones.

Pay a good wage for good workers.

Basic wage for a skilled worker (groundie or climber)should be at least £100 a day. As Andy says £50/£60 a day will only get you monkeys who sit around all day on thier phones.

Pay a good wage for good workers.

As a business owner, I bet thats all I'm on after taking off all the over heads, £100 a day that is. I don't think a groundy should be on the same wage as me.